Sonic the Hedgehog is out

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Fe1, May 20, 2009.

1. Fe1 macrumors regular

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just tried it. The frame rate and smoothness is less than desireable. :( It is still fun and completely playable.

4. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Got it as well. Nostalgia... the kind of games I wanted to play as a kid but only could at my friend's house cause my parents refused to buy a game console (despite asking for one every Xmas and birthday for three consecutive years <-- got a pair of mega uncool sports glasses instead one Xmas).

I noticed everything got jerky for just a split second just once, but otherwise it's been smooth and fun.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

How's the controls? Can't help but feel high speed platformers are not what a touch screen is best at.

Phazer

6. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

The iPhone D-pad won't ever take the place of an actual D-pad. It's always hard to know exactly where your thumb is while paying attention to the screen. Sonic is still very playable though.

7. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Where do I begin? Consistent lag when things move quickly, the music lags as well, horrible controls...

Don't support crappy emulation. Skip this purchase.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Welcome to games on the iPhone.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

10. Macjames macrumors 6502a

How many times do i have to pay for this game :D

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I guess it would be a really bad idea to get it on my crappy first generation iPod touch with inferior GPU and processor?

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

You could try I guess. It would be a bit slower running though. I wish I had an extra iPod touch 2nd gen lying around to try this on. That review says that it runs a bit nicer on it. I bet it will be great on the upcoming iPhone if it really does have 256mb of RAM. :)

13. urbancowb0y macrumors newbie

I love sonic but $5.99 is just too much...$2.99 and I wouldnt have to think twice...

14. Fe1 thread starter macrumors regular

After I posted, the reviews which followed were not encouraging. Frame rates, etc. didn't total up to a Peggle-like high-rated app for me.

But...I just got it anyway.

So far, it seems to be a very faithful port, and I am not expert enough to judge about frame rates and D-pads. I'm enjoying it so far, even at the exorbitant 5.99 price.

15. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I like this so far! OK it could do with an update to make it smoother, but I'm not that fussy and it's perfectly playable.

I may be missing something here, but how do you spin on the floor, to smash through walls and speed up for loops? :confused:

16. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

The directions in the menu might help out with the controls if you haven't looked at them yet.

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Remember the "Spin Dash" wasn't introduced until Sonic 2. So you can't even do it on the real Genesis game. :)

18. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Yes I've looked at the instructions, but the say nothing about being able to duck down and spin into the egg shape like you can on the Megadrive. I guess you just can't then?

19. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Oh really?

20. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Cool! I will have to check it out. My sons would love it!!

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yes this is correct. In order to roll in Sonic 1 you have to be running first. There is no spin dash.

22. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Sega apparently can't properly port it's own games.. The game is choppy in full screen. I got all excited when I saw this in the appstore but was disappointed after playing it. The controls are quite bad as well. Wasted 5.99$ I want my money back.

23. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

[​IMG]

SEGA very quietly slipped in a port of the original Mega Drive Sonic the Hedgehog onto the Apple iTunes store yesterday, with the iPhone platform now being the latest in a long line of formats that can play the classic game.

An official blog today confirms the existence of the title, which you can now pick up for your iPhone for $4.99 $5.99, or £3.49 to the British fans out there. Control is made using touch screen ‘buttons’ that appear on the bottom of the playing screen - the D-Pad is located at the bottom left and the only button (A) on the bottom right. Two screen modes allow you to play the action full-screen with semi-transparent buttons, or in a smaller window with a visible START button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]