SonicWall VPN Client on Windows XP VM Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Subicezero, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Subicezero macrumors newbie

Subicezero

Just recently started with a company that uses a SonicWall SOHO3 VPN - the client is Windows based only. I am trying run this on my Windows XP Pro VM in Parallels 5.0 for Mac (I use a MBP with Snow Leopard 10.6.2) and get hung up on the "Acquiring IP" step. Same result in shared or bridged setting on Parallels.

Anyone else out there using this combo with any success?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do they simply not support LT2P with the native Windows/Mac clients? That's how I connect to my work's Sonicwall VPN (not SOHO though).

B

3. Subicezero thread starter macrumors newbie

Subicezero

Unfortunately, the short answer is "no." SonicWall doesn't make a Mac SL 10.6.x client that works with SOHO and our firm is mostly, gulp, Windows users...

4. dyn macrumors 68030

In OS X there are only limited VPN options. You can use a freeware tool called IPSecuritas which adds a lot more VPN options you can use such as some SonicWALL specific stuff. You could see if that helps.

If you use VPN software in a vm be sure to use the bridged networking option. Most vm software will use the NAT option by default which can block certain VPN traffic which stops the VPN tunnel from working properly. Also check the firewall in Windows and in OS X to make sure they don't block the VPN.

5. Subicezero thread starter macrumors newbie

Subicezero

Thanks. Will try a 3rd party VPN software. Parallels tech support was abysmal.