Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beitie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Minnesota USA
Hello everyone. So recently I purchased a Sonnet Allegro USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 card in hopes of having nice fast USB ports on my 5,1. I am using a ORICO 4 Port USB 3.1 Gen 2 HUB, connected with an Anker USB cable. My system report is showing the HUB as a USB 2.0 HUB, and I'm only getting USB 2.0 speeds on it. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Before this, I was using a Inatek KT4004 card, and that was fine running the HUB at USB 3.0 speeds, though it also used a different cable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 4.15.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 4.15.35 PM.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 126

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
Hello everyone. So recently I purchased a Sonnet Allegro USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 card in hopes of having nice fast USB ports on my 5,1. I am using a ORICO 4 Port USB 3.1 Gen 2 HUB, connected with an Anker USB cable. My system report is showing the HUB as a USB 2.0 HUB, and I'm only getting USB 2.0 speeds on it. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Before this, I was using a Inatek KT4004 card, and that was fine running the HUB at USB 3.0 speeds, though it also used a different cable.
Sorry you never got a response here. I hope you got it working. Happy 2021!

Reactions: Beitie

Beitie

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Minnesota USA
Thanks @Sixtyhorses! I actually did figure it out. The USB cable I purchased was not compatable with the high speed data transfer. So for anyone reading this, if you're having the same issue, ditch the Anker USB cable! I went with one from TrippLite and it works fine.

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
Thanks, @Beitie.
I thought that might be it.
I figured you would have found a solution after all these months.

For reference to others: I use an Angelbird USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C to Type-C Male Cable, which is overkill, but it maximizes the throughput potential thereby making the Allegro USB-C card with two Gen 2 USB 3.2 ports the bottleneck in the wattage transmission and Gbps. I am happy with this until I decide if I need an internal pcie storage/scratch disk at all.

Angelbird USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C to Type-C Male Cable. With a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C male connector on each end, the 3.28' long cable allows you to quickly transfer data to compatible storage drives at up to 20 Gb/s. The cable also delivers 5 A / 100 W of pass-through charging for USB Type-C laptops, iPad Pros, and other devices.

Reactions: Beitie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.