Sonnet eGPU vs Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tayy, Feb 15, 2018.

1. tayy macrumors member

Hi all!

Right now I have a 13" MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar and a Desktop PC I use for gaming (CS GO)

Im thinking about selling my Desktop PC and then buy the Sonnet Breakaway Box and play games on my Mac in bootcamp.

Other pro's about this is saving space and power by not having a desktop gaming PC, plus the Sonnet can charge my MBP at the same time.

Anyone have any experiences with this setup? :)

2. InsertCatchyNic macrumors member

If you are running High Sierra you won't be able to use the eGPU with bootcamp, at least not yet.

I have a Sonnet500 (that i put a 650watt power supply) with a Vega64 video card. This is connected to my 2017 tb macbookpro and i love it. I used to have a separate desktop and laptop, but I consolidated this year and it was the best decision i have ever made.

The Sonnet is in my office and whenever I am playing a game i hook the laptop up to the Sonnet. Other then that I just use the laptop like a laptop.

Check out egpu.io for a lot of good information on eGPU setups and what not.

3. SnoFlo macrumors regular

SnoFlo

I use the base Sonnet with a 1070. It's not used with an Apple laptop but the experience should be the same, which is, in a word, fantastic.

4. groove-agent, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

groove-agent macrumors 65816

groove-agent

I've learned a dedicated gaming PC is better. It's easy to run out of disk space with games and being able to add hard drive space is beneficial. Also, cooling is much more efficient on a desktop as well. Have one machine for working and a second for gaming. The only thing you need is a KVM switch to use the same keyboard, video, and mouse. I ordered the Dell U3415 widescreen monitor for this. It has a built in KVM switch.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can you elaborate on this? If you're in Boot Camp then you're running Windows, not High Sierra, so I'm a bit confused!