Sonnet encore 1,8 opinions please.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by powermi, Jun 5, 2013.

1. powermi macrumors regular

Hello, i have the chance to buy and used sonnet 1,8 ghz upgrade for my powermac quicksilver 1ghz, but i wonder if it would be a good investment, cause some people recommend other kind of procesors than those with 7447 chips.

Thanks

2. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

If you do not bother the noise of a MDD G4, then you might get a MDD for the money of the Sonnet CPU. The MDD with Single/Dual 1,25GHz or even 1,42GHz (which are 7455 chips) are the same speed as a 1,8GHz Sonnet. The Sonnet has 150W power usage at 70% load of both cores, when copying files or exporting video from iMovieHD-5 (not doing any encoding). Apple states that the MDD Dual 1,25GHz uses 150W in idle.
    The Sonnet Upgrade together with the Quicksilver fans is a bit quieter as the MDD G4.

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Is it a 7447 or 7448 chip? 1.8 GHz seams awfully high for an Apollo 7 chip.

4. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

You should google around and look for benchmarks. My memory is that (for the G4 Sawtooth) the 1.8GHz G4 Sonnet upgrade had much less L2 cache, and was actually (overall) slower than some of the lower speed upgrades. That was one of the reasons why I bought my 1.4GHz Sonnet G4 upgrade, it was a little slower, but a *lot* less expensive.

For the right price it would be ok, but you shouldn't pay a premium just because it is a "1.8 GHz."

5. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Xpc7447

6. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

IMO I wouldn't get it unless it was a 7448. The 7447A is one of the slowest G4s because of its lower L2 cache.

Edit: Thought it was the 7447A not the 7447.

7. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Hi again,
    Doing some Google searches led me to this page on the forums which then pointed me to other links, which also showed me these benchmarks as well as these other benchmarks.

Put simply: in my opnion, upgrading a 1 GHz PowerMac at this point in time would be worthwhile *only* as a hobby and if you have money to spare/waste.

On top of that, in my opnion, the 1.8 GHz upgrade is not worth much more than a 1.4 GHz upgrade...unless you really want to have a 1.8 for "bragging rights" and you (again) have money to spare.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

8. powermi thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies. i think that the best would be to invest some money in a original dual 1ghz quicksilver, or just look for another kind of update.
    i have a few powerpcs and i would like ti keep them working, even if i also have a few hi-end x86 machine.

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There was no better upgrade for QS than this one or this one. Except 7448 of course.

10. powermi thread starter macrumors regular

thanks so much, for the price i think is better to look for one of these chip already installed on a secondhand machine, other option is just still look for them on ebay.
    thanks again.

11. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

If you want a Sonnet Encore ST 1.2GHz send me a pm (along with sata card,etc)
    I guess I will take some of my updates from the G4 because I will be getting a G5.
    I don't know about you but when I searched for cpu upgrades on ebay more than 1GHz updates were very expensive in comparison to 1.2/1.33/1.8GHz.

12. powermi thread starter macrumors regular

the sad thing is that is cheaper to buy here a dual g5 2,3 ghz, than buy a quicksilver + somme cou upgrade.
    send me a pm or just post here how much you would ask for your sonnet.

cheers.

13. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Pm sent.
    Here g5s are about 200eur++ depending on the configuration ;/

14. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

My question is whether or not it will give you more bang for the buck. Yes, there are other items out there that are better, BUT will this one item place your computer in a better position than you were in before?

So assuming you're maxed out on RAM and the graphics card is a fairly good one, will the processor change-out actually make it work better? If yes, then why not go for it?

In PowerPC-land, I think we're past the point of no return and the better options are fewer and far between (farer between doesn't sound right at all!). So we're going to be faced with options that might not be ideal, but can still represent a significant upgrade on our aging Macs.

15. powermi thread starter macrumors regular

thw thing is that i want to stay as long as i can with the powerpc architecture, all begings with my old ibook 12", few months ago i was a simple x86 user with an old ibook that everyone told me to give away. After read a lot from the ppc and the x86 systems i realize that i love my ibook more, and after that i get some powerpc machines like some powermacs and anothe powerbook.

i am learning everyday more skills that make me to compute better with my systems, and i moved all my software to powerpc, my x86 machine now is just for gaming. So thats why i would like to have a good processor on one of my powermacs, another is my media server, and the rest are for spares.

the good thinng now is that i love the powerpc cause is a great architecture, not because is from apple.

so thats why i

----------

the thing is that i want to stay as long as i can with the powerpc architecture, all begings with my old ibook 12", few months ago i was a simple x86 user with an old ibook that everyone told me to give away. After read a lot from the ppc and the x86 systems i realize that i love my ibook more, and after that i get some powerpc machines like some powermacs and anothe powerbook.

i am learning everyday more skills that make me to compute better with my systems, and i moved all my software to powerpc, my x86 machine now is just for gaming. So thats why i would like to have a good processor on one of my powermacs, another is my media server, and the rest are for spares.

the good thinng now is that i love the powerpc cause is a great architecture, not because is from apple.

16. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

If you're all right with where you are right now, then try to wait it out. If not, then snatch up the best possible deal and don't look back.

It sounds like you're willing to wait it out until something else hits the used market, and that is perfectly fine.