Sonnet Esata cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VanneDC, Mar 24, 2011.

1. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi gang,

Ive got the card in my MP, but just wondering what i can do with that puppy? i dont have a requirement for external raid ATM and my backups via timemachine are done using a USB exteral HD/caddy.

so just wondering if this card would be taking up any cycles just siting there doing ****? will it also increase my boot time?

I actually have to of these cards inside my MP that i dont use.. well not at least anyways... so just wondering if i should remove them?

2. SmilesLots macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2010
    SW Virginia
    If you ever have need for fast external storage, they are good cards. I have the E4P and love. It allows port multipliers and more. I run esata drives for backup and even a raid. I have not tried booting with it. It probably does not boot.

But my MP 1,1 has those two extra sata ports on the mother board and I have two SSD's in a raid0 on them, so fast boot is not a problem. I'd recommend that if you are not using them, take out one of them. So if your boot times improve. I suspect it will make very little noticeable difference.