Sonnet Esata cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VanneDC, Mar 24, 2011.

1. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Hi gang,

Ive got the http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e2p.html card in my MP, but just wondering what i can do with that puppy? i dont have a requirement for external raid ATM and my backups via timemachine are done using a USB exteral HD/caddy.

so just wondering if this card would be taking up any cycles just siting there doing ****? will it also increase my boot time?

I actually have to of these cards inside my MP that i dont use.. well not at least anyways... so just wondering if i should remove them?

cheers

2. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

If you ever have need for fast external storage, they are good cards. I have the E4P and love. It allows port multipliers and more. I run esata drives for backup and even a raid. I have not tried booting with it. It probably does not boot.

But my MP 1,1 has those two extra sata ports on the mother board and I have two SSD's in a raid0 on them, so fast boot is not a problem. I'd recommend that if you are not using them, take out one of them. So if your boot times improve. I suspect it will make very little noticeable difference.