Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desantii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora, IL
I am starting on a quest to build up aB&W G3... I have a case and a G4 Zif motherboard... Do a need a G3 motherboard for the sonnet G4 or will it also work on the G4? What is the difference between the yikes motherboard and the G3 one ?
Thanks

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As far as I know, the only real difference is that the Yikes! logic board lacks an ADB port. I have the two sitting next to each other, so will double check on this.

Also, one of the firmware upgrades on the B&W motherboard "locked" their ability to recognize a G4 processor. Any ZIF upgrade you get for a B&W should include software to allow you to "unlock" it and work with a G4.

If you are using a B&W as your base, I'd suggest looking for a "Rev. B" Logic Board. These can accept two hard drives on the primary ATA bus, and have a few other upgrades. They also have a larger heatsink, although I would expect a 1ghz upgrade to include its own heatsink(the stock one gets a bit toasty even with a 450mhz G4 in my experience).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks! Any way to tell between rev a and b?

One of the keys is the marking on the ATA controller chip, but I don't recall what those differences are.

If it has the stock heatsink, look at that. The Rev. A has all the "spikes" the same height, while on the Rev. B there is a "step."

Also, if both have their stock video cards, the Rev. Bs usually have the DVD decoder card on the video card that looks like a second "tier" to the video card.

I have both around here, and will try to photograph them later this evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.