Sonnet G4 ZIF 1ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Sep 10, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

A long time ago, I put out a "feeler" on the LEM Swap for a G3 Minitower. That was fruitful and I ended up buying a couple. At the time, I received a very generous offer for one "for the cost of shipping" that by the owners admission had been "heavily upgraded" with a G4, a Radeon 7000, and a couple of 15K SCSI drives.

I communicated with him some, but lost touch. A few weeks ago, I happened to remember and reconnected.

For the cost of shipping, the computer arrived today. He didn't give me any details on the G4 upgrade other than it being a Sonnet. Before booting it, I opened the computer up and had a "holy crap" moment when I looked at the processor.

It's not just a Sonnet, but the king of Sonnet ZIF upgrades-the 1ghz/1mb L3 cache version.

Between this and the 15K drives, this computer absolutely flies. I just wish that there was a way to get a Core Image GPU in an OWR Mac.

All I can do is-again-very generously thank the person who wanted to pass this beast on to "good home." I will certainly give it that!

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1908.JPG IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1911.jpg

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

you could put a 9200 in here and load it up with Leopard should run nicely with that 1Ghz G4 (or put the 1Ghz G4 in a Blue and white G3 install leopard with a FX 5200 or 6200 and have core image while making @eyoungren happy :p )

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd be happier if I owned the Macs the stuff was being installed into. :rolleyes: