Sonnet G4 ZIF upgrade for B&W G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ctmpkmlec4, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I ordered a G4 upgrade from eBay, and I received it in the mail today. To my understanding, the G3 B&W requires a firmware update before it can boot a G4 processor. The only firmware updater I can find is version 3.1 which runs on OS X. I ran the firmware updater and it upgraded successfully. I removed the stock G3 and installed the G4. After installation, the Mac would not boot. It powers on, but no chime and no video. Am I using the wrong firmware update, or is there something else I am missing? I was able to use the included firmware update removal tool to revert to the old firmware. I reinstalled the stock G3, but had to remove and reinstall the PRAM battery before the Mac would boot. I'm so confused...

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My upgrade was made by FastMac, and the firmware updater ran in OS 9.

Basically, what I did was run the program and tell it to "unlock" the firmware to allow a G4. It then instructed me to shut down the computer and restart it while holding the programmer's button(the small recessed button on the front next to the restart). When you do this, the speaker will make a long beep. At the conclusion of this, you will see a progress bar with the firmware upgrade, and the computer will then restart.

I had zero issues with getting my upgrade to work. Even though mine was FastMac and not Sonnet, I expect that the basic principle is the same and the the FastMac updater would probably work. If it would help you, I could image the disk and put it in my dropbox, although it would be tomorrow before I could get to it. I'd be happy to do it, and in the worst case the FastMac software allows you to both "unlock" and "lock" the firmware.

3. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

That's super awesome of you. I just now (literally) got it to boot with the G4 upgrade. The firmware updater I found on Sonnet's site ran under OS X. It installed two scripts in the Applications folder: one to install the patch and one to reverse it. The way this one works is you hold the programmer's button and power on the Mac. Once the long beep is heard, you let go of the programmer's button. The Mac seems to reboot after the long tone, and boots into OS X. You then navigate to the Applications and run the installer script. It prompts for an admin password and then patches the firmware. Once done, it gives you a dialog indicating whether or not it was successful. In my case, it was. After you install the patch, you then install the CPU upgrade.

For some reason, initially, my Mac would not boot after the firmware was upgraded. I reinstalled the firmware, shut the computer down, installed the CPU, removed the PRAM battery, waited a few minutes, reinstalled the PRAM battery, and turned the computer on. At first, it acted as if it wasn't going to boot. So, I did CMD-OPT-P-R to reset the PRAM. The Mac did not appear to respond to the key presses. So, I just held the power button until it turned off. Waited a few seconds, and powered the Mac on again, this time to hear it chime and boot. Victory! It's too soon to really say, but it appears to be stable. I have no explanation for why the computer would not initially boot. Those of you with more expertise, feel free to chime in.

4. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Just curious - What was the speed of the G3 and what is the speed of the new G4 CPU?

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Glad it worked! Do you have to change jumpers to set the speed, or does the Sonnet do that for you automatically?

If you need the 2mm "micro" jumpers to change the speed, let me know as I have a lifetime supply of them and would be happy to drop a few in the mail to you.

6. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Stock it was a 350 MHz G3. The replacement G4 is clocked at 500 MHz.

----------

According to the installation guide, the Sonnet does the work for you. I left the jumper block unchanged, and System Profiler reports the correct CPU speed. I may take you up on the offer someday for the micro jumpers, if I ever need them. :)

7. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Maybe you can OC it to 867MHz have the world's fastest B&W. Any plans to install Leopard?

8. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Nope. Tiger is as far as I'm going with it.

There are other G4 ZIF upgrades that run between 700 MHz and 1 GHz, but I think these upgrades require you to under-clock (down-clock? is that even a word?) the system bus from 100 MHz to 66 MHz.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That's good to know. Setting the jumpers is a pain. Still, let me know if you need any. I transplanted the 400mhz CPU out of my B&W into a Beige when I did the G4 upgrade, and needed even more of them to get my beige running at the correct speed. I actually ended up overclocking my Beige slightly to 430mhz :)

----------

Leopard can be installed with a G4 upgrade slower than 867mhz. Even at 867mhz, though, it takes a lot of extra work to get it running on these systems or any other pre-AGP G4.

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Funny coincidence that Bunn has my old FastMac G4 and I have your old PowerLogix :D

11. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I'm glad it's working out for you. I forgot to ask if the CD I burned did indeed have the firmware update on it. Did you have any major issues getting it to work?

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

And I'm still trying to talk you out of the PowerLogix :) :)

(joking-I'm happy that you were able to get it to work-I just call first dibs if you ever decide to get rid of it!)

13. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

I used to have a B&W with the Sonnet 1ghz....it was a super cool machine, regret selling it as would have been one super machine to keep...mmm maybe a new project

What would be the fastest graphic card for one of these? I would assume a 9200 PCI

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Officially, the 9200 is the best(and admittedly is a pretty darn good card). It's definitely the best you can do for OS 9 in one of these.

For OS X, a flashed 5200 is a better card. Some versions have 256mb of VRAM.

15. ctmpkmlec4 thread starter macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I may have to seek out a 9200 for my B&W. It currently has a Radeon R100 (same as 7000?), which is guess is a little better than its stock Rage 128 Pro. Is there any other way to enable DVD decoding than installing the daughterboard onto the stock video card? Someone replaced the original CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM. DVD playback isn't super important; I'm just curious.