Sonnet TB2 card upgrade results

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dysert, Feb 10, 2014.

1. dysert macrumors regular

I have a Sonnet Echo Express III-D Thunderbolt to PCIe Card expansion chassis connected to Bus 2 on my new Mac Pro. There are no other devices on this bus. I purchased it with the Thunderbolt 1 card and received the Thunderbolt 2 card today. I used Black Magic to test the speed of my Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD installed in the expansion chassis using the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro. I have attached screen shots of TB1 and TB2 tests. As you can see no difference in performance.

Attached Files:

2. rasputin666 macrumors member

rasputin666

so i am a little confused, shouldn't the TB2 be 'twice' as fast? [theoretically]..am i missing something?

3. goMac macrumors 603

If I'm understanding the poster correctly, he's testing the speed of one installed Samsung SSD.

The top speed of that SSD is less than the maximum throughput of Thunderbolt 1. Thunderbolt 2 won't change anything. I'm pretty sure he could install up to two of those SSDs without hitting the speed limit of Thunderbolt 1.

4. analog guy macrumors 6502

my card arrives on tuesday. i'll test with my 2-drive (840 EVO 1TB) RAID0.

wouldn't expect there to be any difference with one drive. their tempo pro and tempo cards experience no difference -- 1 SSD is nowhere near the max of those cards nor of the TB1 bandwidth limit.

a 2-drive SSD exceeds the limits of the tempo SSD card (i have both tempo and tempo pro) and comes nearer to the limits of TB1. TB2 could provide a bit more headroom.

we shall see in a few hours.

5. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

It makes sense, given the speed of the ssd. Tb2 is just relevant if you would daisy chain a 4k display or a faster external storage like the new Lacie little big disk2 through it.

6. analog guy macrumors 6502

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Imagine you are driving at the top speed on a straight, empty highway with 3 lanes. Now imagine the highway has 6 lanes empty. Will the car go faster?

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Thats a great analogy.

9. rasputin666 macrumors member

rasputin666

i agree..follows my rule when i don't get something right away, talk to me like i'm 5.