Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro not fitting in Mac Pro 4,1 and not recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dredog, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Dredog macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I just tried installing my brand new Tempo SSD Pro w/ 2 x MX100 512GB drives and it doesn't seem to be fitting properly. It only fits when I slide the "PCI fan lock" to the left. I'm unable to close it since the card interferes. See the pictures. Is this normal???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that said I proceeded to boot up without "locking the pci" lever. The lights on the card light up green but it's not recognized by Disk Utility or System Report. Mavericks installed. Anybody have any idea why this might be happening???

I'm thinking that maybe this card wasn't made properly or something. Thanks!

2. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

3. TzunamiOSX, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

TzunamiOSX macrumors regular

There is a button near the 3 to lock full size PCIe cards. When locked you cant see this "Tabs"

I must push the card a little bit to the motherboard to close the lock.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Those tab only visible when you move the slider to the left (unlock position).

The full length Tempo SSD Pro card run into the card guide which is completely normal. You should able to move the slider right back to the lock position.

There are few things you card try. e.g.
    SMC reset
    PRAM reset
    download the ROM and flash it to the card
    try another PCIe slot

5. Dredog thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually unable to lock the slider since the card interferes with slider housing. I'll try resetting the pram and smc but can't flash the card since it's not recognized.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Does the card have the notch that the locking slider-bar fits into on the connector tab? Possibly the card isn't seating fully, and that is blocking the locking bar from moving into place ... and the card isn't making proper electrical connections as a result.

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

This is what I'm thinking too. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I have one of these in a 4,1 - make sure that thing is seeded into the PCIe slot properly!

I removed the 2nd set of blank tabs on the PCIe card because they'd smash against some stuff on the logic board. Maybe that's holding the card up?

When it's in there correctly you can slide the fan back to normal and everything is snug.

If you have a serial number with a revision B on it you should be good to go. (edit: as far as needing to update firmware goes).

9. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Card fits perfectly in my 4,1. I suggest pushing the card INTO the slot harder - it seems that if it goes down/in further, then the tabs will be able to slide over it?

10. Dredog thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. U were right. I remove the extra tabs which we're interfering with the video card power cables. It's snub but fits now. Thanks!