Sonnet Thunderbolt adapter/ Tempo pro sata express card do not work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently bought the sonnet echo pro thunderbolt adapter, and the sonnet tempo pro 34 esata express card to use with thunderbolt port on my 2011 mac mini running 10.7.5

I wanted to use the esata with my icy dock enclosures.

when I plugged in everything, I would hear the one hard drive I have installed in the icydock 4 bay enclosure spin up

but I would get the message; "this disk is not readable" & I had 3 options of initialize, ignore, & eject.

I know the hard drive is ok, as it is seen when I connect it via firewire.

I tried some of my other single bay enclosures with hard drives in them; a macally, & on owc, all the same unreadable disk message.

Yet they are seen fine when connected via firewire.

I went to sonnets site & downloaded the latest driver for lion for the tempo pro esata express card, followed the installation instructions, but it did not work.

I have even been e-mail corresponding with both sonnet & icy dock about compatibility, & they both said they should all work together.

anybody else have any experience with these sonnet products?
    what is wrong? is it simply all my enclosures are all not compatible?

do these only work with enclosures with/in RAID modes?

it seems these adapters are not compatible with most enclosures, just a few.

I am about ready to give up on the whole thunderbolt esata thing, what good are supposed fast speeds, when they dont work at all?

looks like it will be USB 2.0 & firewire for me, I dont think thunderbolt is going to last, there does not seem to be much support for it.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

As discussed in your other thread on this topic, external eSATA controllers currently available aren't working with port multipliers - apparently due to the built-in OS X eSATA driver not having that capability, and the difficulty running a third-party eSATA driver on an external eSATA Thunderbolt adapter. If you get an enclosure with hardware RAID (i.e. it presents to the eSATA port as a single drive, rather than using a port multiplier) it will work.