Sonnet Thunderbolt dock shipping info

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cuestakid, Jul 12, 2013.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Has anyone pre-ordered the Sonnet's Echo 15 Thunderbolt Dock? They said that the product would ship in "summer 2013" and while I know we have a ways to go, I was just curious if anyone has gotten more info from them beyond just that?

Here is the product in question

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15thunderboltdock.html

2. spodlude macrumors newbie

That looks like a fantastic product, especially to use with a retina macbook pro. Its a shame I can't get one in England!!!

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have one pre-ordered, have not heard a word.

4. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

at least now I don't feel singled out....

5. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I am on preorder, and I bugged them a couple of weeks ago. Their (updated) estimate was "end of summer 2013".

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Only took Belkin a few years to get out their dock solution which was less complex.

I think that Sonnet will regret announcing this a bit too early

This product was announced at NAB in April, but even in their booth they only had a large picture. No prototype or mockup was shown.

A quick call to Sonnet should glean more accurate info as to how close they might be to actually showing or shipping this.

Granted, outstanding specs. My opinion is that this will take a while to get out the door, if ever. Recall Sonnet's announcements in past years for some Thunderbolt products that never made it to market. Those too were computer generated illustrations; no actual photos of mockups or prototypes.

7. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for the insightful info. I called once and got nowhere but maybe I will try again. Can you elaborate on what other Thunderbolt products Sonnet announced but never got out of their labs? If that is the case, I may consider canceling my order and go elsewhere for this..

8. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

This is exactly why I don't like pre-ordering products with unspecific release dates. I rather wait and see reviews first.

9. opinio macrumors 65816

I am insterested to see how well the Bluray works.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

The problem with companies making announcements too soon is that after the initial flurry of activity, the buzz dissipates. Initially, sales for alternative products may be suspended, but for those anticipating the announced new product may get discouraged as the delays turn from weeks to months, to even years.

And if the delay is too long, competing products may have time to correct issues with existing products, or alter the design of new products that remain under wraps until they are ready to announce and ship.

This happens time and time again in tech, and has killed some companies. Read the history of Osborne computers and how premature announcement of successors affected this company's future. :D http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html

12. EricT43 macrumors regular

That thing looks amazing. (but why didn't they make the case silver???) I'll be getting one for sure, but not pre-ordering. I'll be able to replace my ATD with a 3rd party display and be able to hook up a dedicated gaming PC to the same monitor, without losing all the docking functionality of the ATD.

The price of added HDD storage is actually pretty reasonable, about $50/TB.

13. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

after giving it some thought, I went ahead and cancelled my order and ordered a seagate thunderbolt drive. If and when this comes out, I may get it, but I may start looking at the Caldigit device (though we may want to start taking bets on which one comes out first).

Interestingly,when I went called to cancel, no one seemed to care or ask why or try to convince me to keep it.

----------

thanks-even more glad I canceled.

14. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Still seems pretty expensive to me. What I would really like is just a simple Thunderbolt to USB 3 hub with 3-4 USB ports for <$100. If I had the money, I would get the Blu Ray version with 2TB drive, though...:D