Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I still find it strange that I'm not having this issue, I DO have Bartender 5 (up to date) installed, do not have Alfred installed, and am not having this issue. I'm running an M1 MBP and an Intel Mac mini

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don't have Bartender or Alfred installed and I have the problem, so clearly it's an OS-related issue. It could be an OS conflict with a piece of code that numerous apps use and it just so happens that the code is used in those two apps which are extremely popular so they're more noticeable.

Reactions: ignatius345

Pilok

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
This issue is really getting on my nerves... o_O
I've tried to deactivate Bartender, Alfred and Magnet... no changes.
Does one of you here have SteerMouse installed?

luckman212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
This issue is really getting on my nerves... o_O
I've tried to deactivate Bartender, Alfred and Magnet... no changes.
Does one of you here have SteerMouse installed?
No SteerMouse here. Just Bartender and Alfred.. and yes I still have this annoying issue from time to time (14.2.1)

rexbinary

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Texas
Is it possible it has something to do with the keyboard make/model or connection type? I mostly use a Magic Keyboard with TouchID via Bluetooth. I wonder if using a hardwired keyboard would make any difference? I also have a HHKB keyboard that I can connect wired or Bluetooth. I will begin testing it. It's unlikely any of this makes a difference, but I'm willing to try whatever at this point.

EDIT: Or mouse type? I have a Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac. It has its own software. Maybe it's an issue?

Last edited:

cryohellinc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2021
Is it possible it has something to do with the keyboard make/model or connection type? I mostly use a Magic Keyboard with TouchID via Bluetooth. I wonder if using a hardwired keyboard would make any difference? I also have a HHKB keyboard that I can connect wired or Bluetooth. I will begin testing it. It's unlikely any of this makes a difference, but I'm willing to try whatever at this point.

EDIT: Or mouse type? I have a Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac. It has its own software. Maybe it's an issue?
Nothing to do with the mouse either. The issue can occur even if you unplug the mouse and use a trackpad with multiple screens setup.

For reference, I am using a wired mouse, and the issue still occurs.

luckman212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
I am also using wired mouse + kb, and still experience this problem - even on 14.3.

Jojje

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
Sweden
I started experiencing this issue gradually last week, and it's incredibly annoying. Suddenly, there are shifts in app focus and the need for double/triple click-on links and buttons now and then. I upgraded to 14.3 a few weeks ago and had no issues. I use a MacBook Pro M1 edition with two external screens connected via a Prokord docking station + Apple mouse + MS natural keyboard.

I have not had any issues before the 14.3 upgrade and have not installed any new apps since then.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I'm still without this issue after uninstalled TestFlight app.
So now it's TestFlight that causes it?? 😆 At first it was Bartender, then Alfred, a handful of others, and now TestFlight... Maybe it's macOS??

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
So now it's TestFlight that causes it?? 😆 At first it was Bartender, then Alfred, a handful of others, and now TestFlight... Maybe it's macOS??
I tried disable all mentioned apps (Bartender, Alfred etc.) and nothing helped. Then I found on Reddit, that TestFlight causes this. I don't believe it, but then tried and it solved my problem.
If you have TestFlight, try it.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I tried disable all mentioned apps (Bartender, Alfred etc.) and nothing helped. Then I found on Reddit, that TestFlight causes this. I don't believe it, but then tried and it solved my problem.
If you have TestFlight, try it.
I have TestFlight, and all of the other mentioned apps. I’ve tried a myriad of options including disabling and completely removing some apps. Just over a week ago I had to completely reinstall macOS due to a different issue and before installing any of the listed apps in this thread, I was still having this issue. If something works for you, great! Hopefully Apple can address the overall issue, though.

cryohellinc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2021
Don't have TestFlight or any associated apps on my system, and still experience the issue.

rexbinary

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Texas
OK! Removing TestFlight fixed the issue for me as well! I haven't seen the issue since removing TestFlight, and I was seeing it very frequently. But I also removed the one TestFlight app I had installed which was the iPadOS version of CARROT Weather.

So, was it removing TestFlight or my TestFlight app that fixed it? Maybe iOS/iPadOS apps on macOS have something to do with it? Anyway, thank you @kecinzer for passing that along!

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
OK! Removing TestFlight fixed the issue for me as well! I haven't seen the issue since removing TestFlight, and I was seeing it very frequently. But I also removed the one TestFlight app I had installed which was the iPadOS version of CARROT Weather.

So, was it removing TestFlight or my TestFlight app that fixed it? Maybe iOS/iPadOS apps on macOS have something to do with it? Anyway, thank you @kecinzer for passing that along!
FWIW I removed Carrot as I've been using a different Weather Menu Bar app instead.. Can't remove TestFlight, though. Carrot's the one app here I haven't tried uninstalling yet.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I have an M1 MBP I recently setup as new from DFU mode, and used it just barebones after signing into iCloud during the initial setup. I didn't install any 3rd party apps or anything yet from the App Store. I used it for most of the day the other day, and STILL had this issue. This isn't caused by anything other than, IMO, the Finder and some issue with Finder.app

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
This problem went away for me a few weeks after I posted about experiencing the issue. I don't pay attention to when updates come out, but I posted around Christmas 2023 and the problem went away shortly after – so I assume whatever macOS update that came out after that is what fixed it for me.

Sorry to hear some people are still experiencing it – It was painfully annoying the short time I had it happening to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.