Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WalsallSaddler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2022
Saw one test on YT, where guy tested different MacOS on M1 and here his results of ram usage after startup:
Big Sur: 3.57 GB.
Monterey: 3.24 GB.
Ventura: 3.39 GB.
Sonoma: 4.88 GB.

This is weird on Sonoma, maybe something went wrong with his test. Want to check with users, who use Sonoma on a daily basis, have you actually noticed increased ram memory consumption, compared to older MacOS?

I'm on Ventura, MacBook Air M1 (8 GB) — so ram usage of MacOS is important for me, before decided to update.

Reactions: Tapper

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I'm on Ventura, MacBook Air M1 (8 GB) — so ram usage of MacOS is important for me, before decided to update.
Over here we’ve got 2020 i3 MBA 8GB memory running Sonoma just fine.. and this MBA is arguably the lamest MBA in existence.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
have you actually noticed increased ram memory consumption, compared to older MacOS?
I run a lot of AI models locally on my MacBook Pro, and as soon as I updated to Sonoma, some of the larger models would crash when I run them due to a lack of memory, presumably since the OS is now hogging more RAM for itself.

Now I just run them on another device that's slower but has more memory to spare.

TorontoTom6402

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I used a m1 air for a little while with 8gb of ram. i remember using sonoma it would idle at like 6gb of ram until i opened anything than it would go down when i closed all the apps before id shut down. it would end up going down to the level i had on monterey. monterey used for me like 3gb on my air and on my 2019 pro with 32gb it idles at 4. sonoma on the air would idle at 6 but go down to 4. i haven’t bothered to update my 2019 pro to sonoma because i like the low ram, settings ui, and don't care for any of the new features of mac os sonoma. and if i do update and want to go back I have to reset my laptop including my windows install so monterey is the best mac os for me. now I noticed that the m1 air never slowed down when it had the 6gb of ram on idle. what may be happening is when you boot your laptop mac is launching files for most used apps like windows causing high ram usage but not slowing it down instead speeding it up especially since the mac had 4gb after i was done using it and ready to shut it down. which seems to show it has the same ram usage. this could be due to the new release being designed for M macs. I may test it one day on my 2019 pro on a external ssd or something to see how it does with even more ram on a intel mac just to see. if i do ill post the results on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tapper

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I never look at it. I let the machine take care of memory management, and all of the other system functions, including battery management, temperature management, storage management, etc.

Reactions: Ben J.

TorontoTom6402

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I never look at it. I let the machine take care of memory management, and all of the other system functions, including battery management, temperature management, storage management, etc.
i never let my machine manage anything especially temps. macs and every computer is set to run at like 90 before the fans really speed up. when i use my system for anything other than regular use i set the fans to max first for the whole time. id rather a bit of noise over a shorter lifespan of the computer.

Navvier

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
i never let my machine manage anything especially temps. macs and every computer is set to run at like 90 before the fans really speed up. when i use my system for anything other than regular use i set the fans to max first for the whole time. id rather a bit of noise over a shorter lifespan of the computer.
Personally for me, it's not a question of lifespan, but a question of comfort.
Palm rest at 38 degrees C with default (system controlled) fan settings is too hot

Reactions: TorontoTom6402

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Hey that's my video!
Thanks for watching,

Nowadays, its a little bit better, but it could be higher due to it not being perfected as Ventura or Monterey.
I will for sure run the tests again once the next macOS comes out and I guarantee Sonoma will be a lot lower.

And as to why you should upgrade to Sonoma, what do you do?
Light video editing, browsing the internet, and other things should be fine.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Personally for me, it's not a question of lifespan, but a question of comfort.
Palm rest at 38 degrees C with default (system controlled) fan settings is too hot
On Intel machines maybe. Apple Silicon machines don’t get hot like that.

Reactions: zevrix

WalsallSaddler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2022
Hey that's my video!
Thanks for watching,

Nowadays, its a little bit better, but it could be higher due to it not being perfected as Ventura or Monterey.
I will for sure run the tests again once the next macOS comes out and I guarantee Sonoma will be a lot lower.

And as to why you should upgrade to Sonoma, what do you do?
Light video editing, browsing the internet, and other things should be fine.
Thanks for the reply. It would be great, if you retest this on next MacOS.

Im multitasking on my base Air 8GB and ram usage of MacOS is important for me.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
On Intel machines maybe. Apple Silicon machines don’t get hot like that.
So far on my 2017 MacBook Pro, I have only heard the fans come on during the initial set up after I purchased it, signing in to my iCloud, it downloading my photos, emails, messages and web bookmarks and such and updating it to macOS Ventura, and using it for most of the work day, if I actually spend time doing the days work instead of the minimum it never gets even warm and the fans do not run. my 2010 MacBook Pro runs much hotter and uses fans much more.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Made a new user on a M3 pro mbpro with Sonoma 14.3 and this is what I got. No application open except Activity Monitor. There may have been some crap background tasks like the Zoom virus.

Whatever those numbers mean...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 16.47.47.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 16.47.47.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 26

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
wow a swap file with 18GB ram..... New user means your Mac create a new index from all the files this takes some time and yes eat a bit of ram, mds, spotlight and others.

Last edited:

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
wow a swap file with 18GB ram..... New user means your Mac create a new index from all the files this takes some time and yes eat a bit of ram, mds, spotlight and others.

27 Mb is not a swap file :) And yes there was a mds running so I guess the base ram use is a bit lower than 5 Gb.

On 16-18 Gb macs which is all I have atm I managed to go 4-7 Gb in swap. But I was working or running games with wine (which seems to eat a lot of memory as video ram and evicts unused apps to swap).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.