Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
They are adamant about the privacy of requests. Diagnostics are said to be disabled after the beta period ends, in fact.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Great, how about proper Apple Music implementation? I've resorted to using airplay on Sonos for Apple Music because their Apple Music integration is completely unusable.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Crazy to me that a soundbar doesn’t have HDMI-CEC/ARC

I've actually only ever used Soundbars via HDMI-CEC/ARC, which means I don't really know the benefit of it.

When it comes to soundbars, what can't I do with optical which I can do with HDMI-CEC/ARC?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
My telly’s only got 3 HDMIs, so not using HDMI/ARC and having an optical input makes this sound bar quite appealing.

Reactions: AlumaMac

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Am I the only one that doesn't want every speaker in my house acting as an assistant? Seems redundant, isn't that what my iPhone is for? I also doubt Sonos has the skill or money required to implement an assistant.
While that's how I access music today, I see some value in being able to tell Sonos to stop playing after 15 minutes or just start playing something when I'm in bed.

Reactions: Godspeed8230

madgick

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
does it work as a computer speaker (wired)
whilst this is possible, it is worth noting that you cannot use ANY Sonos devices until you configure it with their app. I just recently bought a Sonos Beam 2 as a TV speaker and I was stunned to discover that you cannot even use a wired input until you've done the app "setup". and the app will not launch until you give it Local Network access, Bluetooth access AND LOCATION ACCESS???

so if you want a Sonos speaker, then you have to also give Sonos your live location data. craaazy.

slartibaf

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2022
I've actually only ever used Soundbars via HDMI-CEC/ARC, which means I don't really know the benefit of it.

When it comes to soundbars, what can't I do with optical which I can do with HDMI-CEC/ARC?
Listen to uncompressed Audio. And with eARC you'd be able to hear 7.1 or Atmos. Optical has the lowest bitrate of the three as it is the oldest Standard of the bunch.
Connection
Optical
ARC
eARC
Bandwidth
384 Kbps​
1 Mbps​
37 Mbps​
5.1 Surround Sound
Yes (compressed)​
Yes (uncompressed)​
Yes (uncompressed)​
7.1 Surround Sound
No​
No​
Yes​
Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, DTS HD,
and Dolby Digital Plus
No​
No​
Yes​

That being said, I still see a use case for the Ray. If you happen to have an older TV which doesn't have an ARC port or want to connect your PC to a Soundbar, you'd have to use an Adapter to get your optical signal to HDMI and pay for features you couldn't use by this connection method. The Beam gen2 comes with the aforementioned Adapter, but also with the capability to play Dolby Atmos, which you couldn't use and therefore wouldn't need.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
It will be as useless as my car’s voice control: “hey VW… set temperature to 65”

“I can’t find a street named ‘temperature to 65’”.
Sometimes Siri knows who my wife is when I ask to call my wife, and sometimes she doesn’t. I don’t get it. When I ask to play music sometimes it “just works” then for the next week or two I get asked what app I would like to use to listen to music on. I only have one music app. I do have a podcast app because Apple’s sucks so bad I had to finally switch, but it doesnt play music, at least I don’t think it does. I know I never asked it to or tried to. ?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I have an older Panasonic Plasma TV that this will work perfect with. Depending on the reviews I think I’m going to get it. However, that SUB mini will be an insta-buy if it happens.
The big question for you, and for others with older TVs (possibly less of a problem with newer TVs), is what exactly does your optical output do? I've seen older TVs that will only output stereo (basically the 2-channel signal they'd feed to their internal speakers) out through the optical port, or that will only output to optical if the signal is coming from their built-in tuner or streaming, but not if the audio is coming from an HDMI port (e.g. from an Apple TV or game console). There are also some where the audio signal gets delayed on the way out to the optical port, resulting in lip-sync issues that may be noticeable (and can fall into the "once you've seen it you can't unsee it and it'll annoy you constantly" area).

The HDMI eARC audio used by the Beam (2nd gen) and Arc unfortunately only comes on the more speedy models, but makes the audio Just Work. It's annoying that they made the Ray be optical audio only.

Reactions: ozaz

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Now that Apple is firmly planted in the TV+ world (best picture Oscar for CODA, widespread cult-like following of Ted Lasso, etc.), they need to release a proper home theater sound system - or at least something that can rival good 3.1.2 or 5.1.2 soundbars. A pair of original HomePods came close to serving this role (it's what I'm using in my living room now, fantastic for that application), but they were discontinued and lacked a subwoofer (no surround option either, though the center virtualization, beam forming, and atmos seem to work alright). eARC functionality coming after they were discontinued was welcomed, but the lack of a true replacement is so sad.

Reactions: DaneLA

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I also doubt Sonos has the skill or money required to implement an assistant.
I'd strongly suspect that they are licensing a bunch of the speech processing tech from some third party, and I kinda want to know who and/or have a much better understanding of what's involved, before I enable it on my Arc.

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
I'd strongly suspect that they are licensing a bunch of the speech processing tech from some third party, and I kinda want to know who and/or have a much better understanding of what's involved, before I enable in on my Arc.
No, they acquired a company:

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
You can't directly control the volume without CEC, which means you'll have to teach your remotes to send IR codes to the Ray (or teach the Ray to respond to the IR codes from your remotes), and you'll need line-of-sight to the TV for the remote to work (which you have when sitting in front of it, most likely, but I've grown accustomed to carrying the remote into, say, the kitchen, when playing something that I'm mostly just listening to, to change the volume or pause as needed). This affects volume up/down and mute (and power on/off, but Sonos devices never shut all the way off, so that's less meaningful).

Also, HDMI-eARC (only eARC, not ARC) has features in the spec that keep audio and video properly in sync. Going through optical, it's possible that your TV will introduce a small delay in the audio coming out the optical port. Depends on the TV. Also, devices supporting ARC and eARC support certain minimum formats (lossless DD5.1 and lossy DD5.1+ for ARC, lossless DD5.1 and Atmos for eARC - this doesn't mean that the devices at either end of the connection will necessarily support those), while optical digital only supports lossy DD5.1, and the TV may not support even that (basically, check the TV specs very carefully for what it will support sending to the optical output and from what internal/external sources).

Reactions: ozaz

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Great, how about proper Apple Music implementation? I've resorted to using airplay on Sonos for Apple Music because their Apple Music integration is completely unusable.
Define proper? Presuming a better variation is coming with their assistant.

The way I got it working was enabling Alexa, and using the lowly rated Apple Music skill... At some inevitable point after a few months, the Alexa skill gets confused, starts playing a song twice. But, other than that, its worked fairly reliably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.