Sonos as audio output for Apple TV 2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kboone6783, Mar 22, 2011.

1. kboone6783 macrumors newbie

We're lucky enough to have both a Sonos set up and a second generation Apple TV in our apartment, but have been wondering if it would be possible to use the Sonos system as the speakers for the Apple TV.

I know that the Apple TV has a digital toslink output, but, as far as I know, the Sonos S5 only has an analog 3.5mm headphone jack input. (I don't think that it is like the combo analog+optical headphone jacks on MBPs.)

Is it possible to create a set up where the Sonos will act as the speaker system for the Apple TV? Or will it require an expensive set of converter boxes and would be a waste of time?

We're just trying to make use of the Sonos set up, since we've already got it, instead of buying separate speakers. Thanks in advance!

2. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

Pick up a used atv1 or an airport express and go 3.5 to 3.5 on the ae or RCA to 3.5 on atv1. Both of those supply analog as well as digital.

I have to run an ae next to my atv2 because my older Sony es receiver cannot port a digital signal to my 3rd room output which powers my deck and patio speakers.

3. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk