Sonos Launches New Sonos Amp and Partners With Sonance for New Architectural Speakers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonos today announced the launch of the Sonos Amp, a new audio hub that's designed to replace the existing Connect:Amp. The Sonos Amp is able to connect to traditional home audio speakers and integrate them into a Sonos home sound system.

According to Sonos, its new Sonos Amp is twice as powerful as the Connect:Amp with the ability to power four speakers with 125 watts per channel, up from two. It supports AirPlay 2 and more than 100 streaming services, in addition to including an HDMI Arc port to connect to TVs and line-in ports to connect devices like turntables, CD changers and other audio components.

Two Amps can be paired together for surround sound, and using the aforementioned HDMI Arc port, it can be used to add stereo sound to a TV or wireless rears to a home-theater setup.

Sonos is pricing the Amp at $599, $100 more than the previous Connect:Amp product. It will be available to professional installers in the U.S. and Canada starting in December, with global availability coming in February 2019.

The Amp is part of a new three-prong approach to better integrating Sonos into smart homes, which also includes speakers created in partnership with Sonance and new platform APIs.

Sonos is partnering with Sonance for three new architectural speakers, including in-wall, in-ceiling, and outdoor, which will be able to be paired with the new Sonos Amp. The three new speakers will be marketed and sold by Sonos and will launch in early 2019.

Starting in September, Sonos plans to open up its developer platform to all potential partners, and it will introduce a new set of Control APIs that will make it easier to integrate Sonos products into smart homes run by systems like Control4 or Crestron.

The new Control APIs will include support for line-in switching to allow line-in components to be selected within a third-party control interface, volume pass-through for easier volume control, the ability to add Sonos playlists using a third-party interface, and as a preview option, capabilities to provide notifications and alerts from third-party devices like doorbells through Sonos speakers.

Article Link: Sonos Launches New Sonos Amp and Partners With Sonance for New Architectural Speakers

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
Sorry, I am just a NOOB at this stuff. What exactly is this for?
I have two Sonos Play One's paired as Stereo. That is all.
Does this Amp thing mean anything to me?

Reactions: Saipher

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Over the Reignbough
No, unless you have a pair of stereo speakers laying around. It lets you use them as another Sonos zone.

I have a closet full of Connect:Amps (13 zones) driving whole home audio in a centrally located, temperature controlled media closet. In five years, I’ve had about a 50% failure rate. Sonos has been pretty decent at replacing them but the failure rate is pretty bad.

Reactions: DotCom2

BreadofWonder

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2016
Not a thing. This amp is for people who want to use their traditional speakers with the Sonos wireless system.

Reactions: DotCom2

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Vicar of Dibley-land, UK
They only show the Connect, Connect:Amp, and the Amp (coming soon). One would think if they were updating the Connect, they would have made the announcement of update when they announced the Amp. You may be out of luck.
You're probably right, but hopefully in the future. For now the Connect (actually the older ZP90) works great. I'd like an improved DAC (although I use the one in the Anthem amp), more modern (ie: improved) power saving and Airplay 2.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I don’t want to be an audio snob but a terrible amp attached to a not very good av device you’ll only end up using airplay for seems pretty pointless. I’m sure there are plenty that will love it but I feel like the future is turning out to be what crap can we peddle to people who don’t know better. An era of kick starter abominations funded by the general public being promised things that are impossible or straight up fraudulent.

Anyone who has a hifi surely has the ability for airplay or Bluetooth by now surely?

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I don’t want to be an audio snob but a terrible amp attached to a not very good av device you’ll only end up using airplay for seems pretty pointless. I’m sure there are plenty that will love it but I feel like the future is turning out to be what crap can we peddle to people who don’t know better. An era of kick starter abominations funded by the general public being promised things that are impossible or straight up fraudulent.

Anyone who has a hifi surely has the ability for airplay or Bluetooth by now surely?
Your comment is apropos considering Apple is one of the early pioneers of crap peddling. And that's not a complaint or a dig on Apple. They recognized an opportunity to deliver "good enough" to people who may not know any better...or don't care. What's more, there have been numerous blind tests to suggest that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you upgraded their audio anyhow. So...no harm no foul?

I am an audio snob, but I don't mind the convenience that this crap brings to my day to day. I've got a high-end stereo system with both turntable and "audiophile" DAC connected...and I've got Sonos in every room. Guess which one I use more often? I'd love to see an updated Sonos CONNECT (sans amplifier), preferably with digital out.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS and robbyx

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I was really hoping the prices of these would go down, not up. I have the Connect:Amp, and used it in my last place to power in-ceiling speakers. It worked really well.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
No, unless you have a pair of stereo speakers laying around. It lets you use them as another Sonos zone.

I have a closet full of Connect:Amps (13 zones) driving whole home audio in a centrally located, temperature controlled media closet. In five years, I’ve had about a 50% failure rate. Sonos has been pretty decent at replacing them but the failure rate is pretty bad.
Wow, thats some serious bad luck. I have 25 Connect Amps, a handful Connects, a couple playbars, a couple subs, and used to have quite a few of the play 1s and play 5s before I replaced them all with the connect amps and in ceiling speakers. I have never had a single Sonos component fail on me. The only failure I have experienced is the LED indicator light on one of my Connects stopped working, but the unit otherwise works perfectly.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
That’s on Apple.

If you want lockscreen controls back, you can do it now if you disable Airplay on any Airplay 2-capable device.
The fact that disabling ALL AP2 devices solves the problem shows that it’s not on Apple. The only device where I want to disable AP2 is Sonos Play:3, which even does not support it. But I can’t. It’s stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmylrea

dmylrea

macrumors 68030
Sep 27, 2005
That’s on Apple.

If you want lockscreen controls back, you can do it now if you disable Airplay on any Airplay 2-capable device.
That is a ridiculous requirement by Sonos. How about just being able to turn off Airplay 2 in the app altogether?

I have probably 20 media devices around the house. I'm supposed to go around to all of them and disable Airplay 2 (if they support it), just to have lock screen control to play music??

Not to mention, as a LONG TIME Sonos user, it's been solid as a rock...until their v9 software, which is complete junk. I can barely keep my CONNECT and controller (tablets) working together. It's laughable it's so bad.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

You're not an audio snob (or you wouldn't have mentioned Bluetooth) - but you may be having trouble seeing the true use for this: it's _whole home_ audio. If you have stereo speakers sitting around and you want them to play synced music along with all of the other Sonos speakers in your house... that's what this is for.

curious12

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013

Sonos today announced the launch of the Sonos Amp, a new audio hub that's designed to replace the existing Connect:Amp. The Sonos Amp is able to connect to traditional home audio speakers and integrate them into a Sonos home sound system.

According to Sonos, its new Sonos Amp is twice as powerful as the Connect:Amp with the ability to power four speakers with 125 watts per channel, up from two. It supports AirPlay 2 and more than 100 streaming services, in addition to including an HDMI Arc port to connect to TVs and line-in ports to connect devices like turntables, CD changers and other audio components.

Two Amps can be paired together for surround sound, and using the aforementioned HDMI Arc port, it can be used to add stereo sound to a TV or wireless rears to a home-theater setup.

Sonos is pricing the Amp at $599, $100 more than the previous Connect:Amp product. It will be available to professional installers in the U.S. and Canada starting in December, with global availability coming in February 2019.

The Amp is part of a new three-prong approach to better integrating Sonos into smart homes, which also includes speakers created in partnership with Sonance and new platform APIs.

Sonos is partnering with Sonance for three new architectural speakers, including in-wall, in-ceiling, and outdoor, which will be able to be paired with the new Sonos Amp. The three new speakers will be marketed and sold by Sonos and will launch in early 2019.

Starting in September, Sonos plans to open up its developer platform to all potential partners, and it will introduce a new set of Control APIs that will make it easier to integrate Sonos products into smart homes run by systems like Control4 or Crestron.

The new Control APIs will include support for line-in switching to allow line-in components to be selected within a third-party control interface, volume pass-through for easier volume control, the ability to add Sonos playlists using a third-party interface, and as a preview option, capabilities to provide notifications and alerts from third-party devices like doorbells through Sonos speakers.

Article Link: Sonos Launches New Sonos Amp and Partners With Sonance for New Architectural Speakers
Do all tech products launch with Apple-like ads?
[doublepost=1535639877][/doublepost]Does anyone know if this single AMP can separate the 4 speakers into separate Zones as well or does it treat it as 1 amp thereby still requiring 2 AMPs like the Connect?