Sonos Rivals HomePod With New Assistant Speaker, Adding AirPlay 2 Support to Speakers Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sonos today introduced the Sonos One, an all-new smart speaker with six far-field microphones that allow it to work with digital assistants.

[​IMG]

Sonos One can be controlled entirely with voice. At launch, it will support Amazon Alexa in the United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom, including full voice support for Prime Music, iHeartRadio, Pandora, SiriusXM, and TuneIn. Alexa voice control for Spotify will be coming soon after launch.

Google Assistant support will be added in 2018, making the Sonos One the first smart speaker with support for multiple major assistants.

Sonos One can play music from more than 80 streaming services, including popular ones like Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play Music, Tidal, and Pandora. In addition, it supports other traditional Alexa capabilities related to the weather, timers, news and traffic reports, the latest sports scores, and more.

Sonos is releasing a free software update today that will enable many of its existing speakers to be controlled with Alexa as well. In the United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom, Sonos owners can use any Alexa-enabled device like the Echo or Echo Dot to control the speaker with voice commands.

Sonos also announced that it will begin supporting Apple's AirPlay 2 in 2018, making it possible to play any sound from an iOS device on Sonos speakers. Apple users will also be able to control music on Sonos speakers with any Siri-enabled device, such as an iPhone, iPad, and the HomePod once it launches.

Sonos One comes in black or white, weighs four pounds, and has an illuminated LED indicator light to ensure you are always aware when the speaker's microphone is active. The speaker connects to a home's Wi-Fi network, and it also has one 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port for those who prefer a wired connection.

The speaker features premium audio quality, with two Class-D digital amplifiers tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture, one tweeter, one mid-woofer, adjustable bass and treble controls, and a six far-field microphone array used for advanced beamforming and echo cancellation.

Sonos One will be available starting Tuesday, October 24 for $199 in the United States. Pre-orders start today.

Article Link: Sonos Rivals HomePod With New Assistant Speaker, Adding AirPlay 2 Support to Speakers Next Year

2. melancholy macrumors regular

melancholy

You mean my current Sonos speakers won’t work with AirPlay 2 and only for the new ones?!!!

3. dewski macrumors regular

If the Spotify app didn't update to include my Sonos in the speaker options, then I would have no use for my Play 1. Its a great sounding speaker, but the connectivity is too much of a hassle.

4. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I have an echo. We use it for comedy effect (I don’t know what else to use it for).

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Airplay 2 is software-based so current speakers should be able to receive the update as well next year.

6. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

But does it have some cool LED lights somewhere? Yes, they serve a purpose.

7. euvnairb macrumors regular

Finally! Airplay! I hope the airplay update will be available for all existing sonos speakers. It's not much of an issue for me because I can play music from my library off the Sonos app on my phone, but when I want to play off my macbook, I have to airplay through an Apple TV.

The Sonos One sounds interesting to me in particular because I already have Sonos speakers in my house.

8. sigftw macrumors member

sigftw

Just imagine if apple licensed out Siri like they do AirPlay. If this speaker gave you the option of any one of the three assistants I’d be so in!

Sadly, that hasn’t happened yet...

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I wish / hoped Apple would license the W1 to more of these devices. I understand they want to sell their HomePod, however, having more W1 enabled BT devices out in the wild would be a compelling reason to use their products.

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

11. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

More importantly for many of us, it looks like the Sonos app has been updated to allow for Amazon Echo integration with existing Sonos speakers.

12. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

We have a couple and use them for two main things. Music and the weather. I know we have about 50 different ways to get the weather but when I'm not home I really miss being able to "Alex, what's the weather today" while I'm getting ready. It's sooooo much easier than checking on my phone. I use it timers sometimes as well but not exclusively yet. While it still feels like a bit of a novelty. It definitely has a place in our home now.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You can use a $49 Echo Dot with your existing speakers.

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Excellent news on the Airplay 2 support coming next year.

15. JamesLeSmash macrumors newbie

JamesLeSmash

Why don't you use the Sonos.app for MacOS?

16. green94 macrumors regular

Big news... having Alexa, Google, and SIRI built into one device would be pretty amazing.

17. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I was hoping for this today, rather surprised that it wasn't mentioned.

18. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

This is pretty cool. But, as a Canadian, I notice that we don't get Alexa support. :(

The website says: "Voice control for Sonos is not supported in Canada, yet. These features will be available when Sonos and a voice service launch together in your region."

I'm guessing that means we'll just get the Google Assistant once it's supported next year, which I'd be ok with. I bought a Google Home recently but took it back due to the poor sound quality in comparison to my Sonos Play:1

19. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Sometimes it starts talking and we’re like, we didn’t ask you anything!!! Alexa you’re dumb!!

And then the recent South Park episode happened... that’s the most enjoyment I’ve gotten from the Echo yet lol.

20. csurfr macrumors 6502a

Can the AppleTV send audio to AirPlay speakers? If so, the possibility of Sonos updating their existing speakers to work with AirPlay 2 would make it much more useful to me.

21. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Actually, that "war" is already over. Amazon has won -- simply because they were the first to open their assistant technology for third party developers AND to allow Alexa to be installed on ANY device. Openness always wins. And the final killer argument, even if you don't care for the openness and software developers: An Echo Dot costs 50 bucks. It won't get much cheaper than that, everybody can afford to have Alexa in their homes. And unlike the competition, there's a huge amount of services behind Alexa, not just music. Amazon is handling this absolutely right.

22. avanpelt macrumors 68030

If Sonos is releasing a $199 speaker with voice assistant compatibility built in, you better believe Apple will be lowering the price of HomePod. There is no way Siri is worth a $150 price premium over a comparable Sonos product.

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

So is this better than HomePod, and cheaper? Would be curious to see which speaker sounds better for music.

24. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Yeeessss that’s amazing, airplay for Sonos, perfect!

25. Blakjack, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Sonos just shatted on Apple. There speaker will support both rivals voice assistants and will be 130 bucks cheaper? If the Apple homepod doesn’t have significantly better sound quality It’s going to be a sad day. There is no way whatsoever Apple can support a claim their homepod is worth even 50 dollars more at this point. I understand they are selling it’s sound quality but let’s be real....the Siri function is what’s important in this smart speaker race. And we all know Siri is literal garbage compared to the likes of Google assistant and Alexa. To add to its lack of value, companies aren’t adopting Apple’s HomeKit at a rate that justifies buying the homepod over this new Sonos One. I was so exited about going broke (not really) by buying two homepods. But now I can save some money and buy two Sonos ones and actually get a superior product.