Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular speaker company Sonos is developing new high-end smart speakers that will compete with Apple's HomePod and HomePod mini, according to reports from The Verge. The Era 300 and the Era 100 will launch in the coming months, and have been in development since mid-2022.

sonos-speaker-render.jpg
A 3D rendering of the Sonos speaker, created by The Verge​

The multidirectional Era 300 will be the new Sonos flagship speaker, featuring support for Dolby Atmos and spatial audio tracks. The Verge says that the speaker will offer "the richest fidelity of any single speaker" in Sonos' history. Other features will include USB-C line-in, Wi-Fi 6 support, and possibly, Bluetooth playback.

Fewer details are known about the Era 100, but both of the new speakers will have a refreshed design, automatic tuning, and sound optimization. The Era 100 could be a replacement for the more affordable Sonos One.

There is no launch date for the new Era speakers, nor have price points leaked. The speakers will compete with the $299 HomePod 2, which came out last week. Sonos is also developing a second-generation "Move" speaker that will replace the current model, and it is planning to enter a new product category in 2023 that is as of yet unknown.

Article Link: Sonos Working on New 'Era' High-End Speakers

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Just adding Bluetooth streaming capability will be a bonus. Not sure why they didn't add that a long time ago. If they add AirPlay, now that would be nice.

Reactions: Rradcircless

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
About six months ago, I traded in two original Homepods that I had set up as a stereo pair for two paired Sonos Ones with the new Sonos Mini Sub. At least for me, the Sonos system has turned out to be far superior to the paired Homepods for roughly the same price. The hardware/software integration is top notch, and much more flexible and accommodating of various streaming services than Apple. I look forward to seeing what Sonos does with this new Era line.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
About six months ago, I traded in two original Homepods that I had set up as a stereo pair for two paired Sonos Ones with the new Sonos Mini Sub. At least for me, the Sonos system has turned out to be far superior to the paired Homepods for roughly the same price. The hardware/software integration is top notch, and much more flexible and accommodating of various streaming services than Apple. I look forward to seeing what Sonos does with this new Era line.

The hardware is nice but I don’t know, the software?! Really? The biggest let down with the Sonos system is it’s app

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sonos would have been a logical Apple acquisition. High-end, but tightly integrated with a loyal following. Makes more sense than the Beats acquisition, frankly. Sonos could have been Apple's push into the home audio market the way Beats was into the portable audio market.
I have been saying this for years. It's still true.

HomePod is a poor substitute for what Sonos offers, particularly in the Move, Roam, and home theater categories.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I had Sonos everything (Ones, Fives, Amps, Sub, Move, Beam) in every room. It all worked amazingly well with Alexa and Spotify. But then I dumped Alexa and went to Apple Music. Not sure I can be wooed back to Sonos again. But they make great gear.

Reactions: BigMac?

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Would you return your 2023 HomePod and wait for Sono's new 'Era' High-End speakers? It will be carrying Wi-Fi 6 tho. So, that's appealing.
WiFi 6 isn’t going to make a huge difference for a speaker.
When Apple discontinued OG homepod , I started a switch to Sonos. The quality of their speakers are superb, but the app is awful - absolutely awful and as an Apple music user I’d have to clumsily negotiate between it (with services disappearing from the App Library on a weekly basis) and the iOS music app - which requires everything to be airplayed to a Sonos. I (as a HomeKit user) also missed Siri integration and voice commands to switch on/off the lights , to add music to my library etc..
The experience was so frustrating that I welcomed when Apple announced they would be bringing back the Homepod, and sold my Sonos gear. Now I have to deal with the 2nd Gen Homepod not sounding as good as the first. It’s so frustrating that there isn’t a dedicated premium home audio solution for the Apple Ecosystem.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Love me some sonos! Yeah the software can be clunky but I've used it for so long now that it doesn't bother me. The one thing sonos desperately needs are scenes so you can have a scene to select certain speakers etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.