Sonos

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim100, Apr 14, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

I have AirPlay hooked up to my home stereo. Should I add sonos? How is it t different from AirPlay? How does it compare to air zepplin? How many people on here have sonos connect?

2. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I have a Sonos bridge and 2 Take5 speakers, one in bedroom and the other in the Living room. I also have :apple:TV in bedroom and the TV room. The difference is that sometimes I don't want to bother with the TV aspect and just want music. If I want a slideshow I go with the :apple:TV.

3. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how about airport express hooked up to home stereo-air play vs zeppelin air vs sonos??

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

We use sonos at work, and it's really good. We have it set up to play in the kitchen, patio and on a portable speaker, we never have problems with it. I strongly recommend it.

5. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Well, first of all Sonos has synchronized zones. Even in my small apartment, it's nice to walk from my living room to my bedroom and not have any loss of sound. I think you can send iTunes content to multiple AirPlay zones but it won't work for third party apps.

I also like that there's a PC controller in addition to the smartphone/tablet apps. AirFoil is a workaround, but still. You're also not using up battery on the iPhone.

Finally, the SonosNet is supposedly more stable than wifi though YMMV.

No regrets on my part, I love my Sonos system. :)

7. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

8. FranzMarc macrumors member

No grudges with the interface here, using a Sonos bridge with a play5 and play3, or was that s5 and s3? :)

When i decided for the Sonos over Airplay or and iPod dock like the zeppelin, it was mainly because I wanted to

a) not rely on a 64GB+ ipod/ipad/iphone to hold all my music to stream from,
    b) not rely on my mac to be on all the time to stream music via Airplay, and
    c) being able to extend the current system by just adding another play3/5 or adding a Connect and some larger speakers for your living room.

Now all music is stored on a time capsule hooked up to my dsl, creating the wifi and connecting to the sonos bridge. You can use the ipod/iphone/ipad to control it, or the mac when you are working.

But using Airplay speakers and say an iPhone or iPad doesn't seem like a necessarily worse solution tbh.

9. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how does zeppelin air compare sound/build quality to play 5?

10. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

11. Brenster macrumors 6502

Yep. Hosting my iTunes library on a NAS now hardwired to the same router as the Sonos BRIDGE. Play 5 in the kitchen, Connect90 in the lounge connected to my AV amp via co-ax digital connection.

All the advantages of AirPlay with Spotify & internet radio included, no need for either my wife or my own macs to be open and running. The Sonos software for mac and iOS is very nice and usable, especially on the iPad. Even my learning-new-tech averse wife finds the Sonos interface and UI a breeze.

And the whole things works hand in glove with iTunes and the like, there's very little not to like.

Feel free to ask anything before this post starts to resemble an in-store sales pitch!

12. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Hope you (or anyone else) can help me...I just ordered a Sonos Connect:Amp and Bridge to hook up to a pair of outdoor speakers. If I like it I may order another Sonos component to play music in another part of the house.

All my music is managed with iTunes and stored on my MacBook Pro. So my plan is to just to use the Sonos app to control playback. My question is what's the main reason someone would add, say, an Airport Express to this setup. What added functionality does it give you?

Thanks for any help!

13. Brenster macrumors 6502

Ok. The Airport Express would come in for any Apple/Airplay specific listening. Sonos will talk to the files in your iTunes library - not the iTunes application itself, along with Spotify, Napster, internet radio sources etc. If you use the iTunes application on the phone or on the iTunes store on your computer to preview music, Sonos cannot directly access this. Hooking up an Airport Express to the line-in on your Connect:amp would allow you to stream iTunes Store preview tracks.

Likewise if you have any DRM\d audiobooks on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iTunes library, Sonos will not be able to play these. Using the airplay feature of iTunes etc would allow you to stream to an Airport Express and again to Sonos via line-in.

Essentially:

Sonos = non-DRM music files, Spotify, Napster, internet radio
    Airport Express > Sonos line-in = iTunes Store preview/DRM'd content, DRM'd audiobooks, any iOS applications that only support Airplay.

14. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the in-depth answer, Brenster. Just the info I was looking for.

15. FranzMarc macrumors member

If I understood it correctly, you can that way also stream Airplay-music into multiple grouped Sonos-"rooms" or zones. Instead of the single output to an Airplay-speaker.