Sonos

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Gutwrench, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I've been watching for a Sonos update this week but haven't seen it yet. Has anyone got it yet? Maybe tomorrow.

Apparently the release is next week not this week.

I'm hoping the update includes the use of Apple Music and Trueplay.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I received the notice that it has been updated on Nov 10. It doesn't mention Apple Music but does mention Trueplay.

3. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thanks. I just got an email. I've been waiting for Trueplay too. I'm at the office and will update tonight. Have you updated yet? I'm interested in your opinion.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yup, just got the update. The new Play:5 can't get here soon enough. All the reviews have been stellar and note that it's a significant improvement over the current Play:5. As much as I love my current 5, it was a bit too digital sounding and the new 5 is supposed to address that and steer it towards the direction of audiophiles.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

EDIT:

TruePlay has little to no effect. I'm guessing, unless you're in a room with terrible echoing or obstruction, TruePlay isn't going to do much. What it does is similar to home theatre setups where it beeps and the external mic listens to see where the best placement is. Also, no mention of Apple Music in the Sonos App.

6. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No problem. I would still play with Trueplay and see if it makes any difference to you. I currently have my Play:5 in my room so there's not a lot you can do and I even tried toggling Trueplay on/off to see if there was a difference, there wasn't, but maybe you have yours in a much bigger space and it may lead to some improvement.

8. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I have a set of Play1s in one livingroom and it had no effect. The app said it made minor adjustments. The speakers are actually decently located.

In the den I have a Playbar, sub, and a set of play1's in surround with the tv so there's no Trueplay support for that.

I can't adequately express just how much I enjoy the Sonos...from the set up to use they perform better than I deserve. It was a bit disappointing to find no Apple Music but they're promising that by year end. I spend most my time in the den and since I just added the ATV4 it's less of a concerm.

9. Gutwrench thread starter macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

What's your experience?

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I actually haven't had time to play with it yet. I will let you know after the weekend when I can sit down and test it out. I will be trying it out on five speakers. Play 5, Play 3, and two Play 1's.

11. BrentD macrumors regular

I echo what iLog said. It doesn't have much effect in rooms with padded furniture and carpet. Its changes were barely noticeable there, and not really an improvement or otherwise to me. However, if you have a boomy/reverby room like a bathroom, it makes some pretty drastic changes. In my experiences, those changes made it a lot worse than I already had it set up. It killed most of the bass and a fair amount of the treble and just left it muddy. Hopefully they continue to tweak it.