Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
After a rather heated discussion, the VP of IT and President of my company vetoed my new notebook of choice, the MBP. While I need Windows (several critical Access databases), I thought the MBP would have been fine for me needs. As a VP in the company and quite technical in my own right, I was pissed. The VP of IT kept arguing that they couldn't properly support it. I argued that I am the only IT person in the company with full admin rights on my PCs and those of my staff and the number of times we have needed IT support in the past 3 years could be counted on one hand. Furthermore, the MBP would cost less than the Sony Vaio that I'll probably end up getting. Anyway....

Thoughts on the Vaio SX-240? I intend on using only it and losing my desktop in my office.

Core Duo 2 GHz
Win XP
13.3" WXGA
1 GB RAM
Hybrid Graphic System - NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 with TurboCache™ supporting 128MB and
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 128MB dynamically allocated shared (RAM/Video) memory
4.07 lbs.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
That sucks rdowns, it would have been nice if you could have gotten MacBook Pros as you had originally wanted. :eek:

But for a PC, that Sony Vaio has some pretty impressive specs and yet only weighs a tad over 4lbs. :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Yep, the weight is very attractive as I travel every 6 weeks or so.

I'm not giving up hope yet. We were recently acquired by a private equity firm and many changes have been made, for the better. And the division I head up is the cash cow of the business.

I'm going to Denver with one of the new partners in 2 weeks and just might bring my iBook instead of my company issued Toshiba that weighs 9 lbs. and works when it feels like it. Hoping that will lead to a nice discussion of computing on the plane.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
rdowns said:
Yep, the weight is very attractive as I travel every 6 weeks or so.

Well, you would most certainly love the lightweight Sony Vaio if you travel that frequently. :)

rdowns said:
I'm not giving up hope yet. We were recently acquired by a private equity firm and many changes have been made, for the better. And the division I head up is the cash cow of the business.

No don't give up just yet, the Sony is nice, but I would much, much rather use a MacBook Pro than that, or any for that matter, PC. :)

rdowns said:
I'm going to Denver with one of the new partners in 2 weeks and just might bring my iBook instead of my company issued Toshiba that weighs 9 lbs. and works when it feels like it. Hoping that will lead to a nice discussion of computing on the plane.

Great idea, that sounds like the perfect thing to do. Sounds like there is still hope for you to get a MacBook Pro yet! :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
At least its a Vaio - seriously. Only two PC notebooks I owned were Sony's.

The only reason I have not gone for Microsoft certification is becase I think I would climb a clock tower after working with someone like your IT after two days. I hate PC geeks.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
rdowns said:
The VP of IT kept arguing that they couldn't properly support it. I argued that I am the only IT person in the company with full admin rights on my PCs and those of my staff and the number of times we have needed IT support in the past 3 years could be counted on one hand.
Can they support any other brand of notebook or are you limited to Sony? You know all brands ship with their own set of drivers, so if you use Boot Camp for Windows, local IT support would be in the exact same situation with a MBP as with any other Windows only notebook.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
iGary said:
I think I would climb a clock tower after working with someone like your IT after two days. I hate PC geeks.

The story above does not remotely describe the incompetence of that department. I am currently working on (and seem to be winning) on moving our Web Designer and one programmer to my staff. Since the 2 of them spend about 80% of their time on my department, it only makes sense.

gekko513 said:
Can they support any other brand of notebook or are you limited to Sony? You know all brands ship with their own set of drivers, so if you use Boot Camp for Windows, local IT support would be in the exact same situation with a MBP as with any other Windows only notebook.

Oh sure, you want to be logical. I argued that point. I said let's buy it, set up Windows and put the IT approved image on the PC. If it doesn't work, I'l pay the restocking fee and drop the issue forever.

I can basically buy any PC notebook I want

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
rdowns said:
Oh sure, you want to be logical. I argued that point. I said let's buy it, set up Windows and put the IT approved image on the PC. If it doesn't work, I'l pay the restocking fee and drop the issue forever.

I can basically buy any PC notebook I want
I want to scream on your behalf. Do you have or know someone with a MB or MBP with Boot Camp and Windows installed? Maybe you could bring it in and show it to the IT guy so that he can see there's no magic to it. He can support configurations issues with it just like any other Windows notebook. The only situation where it will be different from a Windows notebook is that if a system reinstall is needed, the process needs to include an OS X restore, Boot Camp install and a Windows install instead of just a Windows install, but how often does that happen, and since I assume you'll be willing to do that yourself if it's needed, it doesn't really affect IT, does it?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
None of my friends have that set up. Might rent one to prove my point.

Yes, I would take care of any re-installs needed. Any Windows programs needed can be installed from our servers.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
A job in such a close minded company is not worth having anyway! :mad:

With your skills and talents, I am sure you will make it more than a VP elsewhere! :p

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Abstract said:
Those people probably know squat. Order a MBP and call it a Vaio. Maybe they wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they see you running Windows on it.

sad thing is... you're probably right. :eek:

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Abstract said:
Those people probably know squat. Order a MBP and call it a Vaio. Maybe they wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they see you running Windows on it.

Cover up the Apple sticker and they'll NEVER know. ;)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
rdowns - been there! I am amazed how many LEGACY SYSTEM headsets survive at the top of client/server / distributed processing IT groups. The "support" argument is as lame as anything I have heard - and I have heard it plenty.

My assessment is that it is really a job security concern played out in a "support and run the function efficiently arena". I have actually purchased a few Macs out of my own pocket rather than continue the time wasting discussions with some of the IT police - much better return on my time.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Heres your "sony vaio"

"macbook pro".jpg

Sorry for the poor value :D

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Aside from the vaio line of notebook's high price ranges they are some of nicest PC laptops. If was going to buy a notebook I'd pick one of those up or Thinkpad. I personally wouldn't complain. You're getting a free computer. On a side note why didn't you tell your work that the MBP can run windows. Thats always a plus.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Never had any major dramas with almost every VAIO I've had and I think they're excellent machines. I've had more main unit / accessory failures in my 4 month experience with Apples than VAIOs since 2000. I'd also contend that while design details aren't sweated as well as Apple, on the whole Sony laptops seem to be better engineered than Apples. The only real problem with Sonys is if they go wrong. They do not understand support... but seeing my experience with Applecare, perhaps Sony aren't that far behind Apple. If you want to avoid VAIO's the support angle is actually the best to mention. Even Sony internally has acknowledged it sucks. However I would personally debate the clear superiority of Apple's support services in this respect.

Thinkpads were underspecced, unimaginatively (or put positively, pragmatically) designed, overweight and only slavered over by PC magazine writers IMO. I've not been impressed by any Thinkpad I've had in everyday use. The last Thinkpad I had, the X40 or whatever I had was pretty useless for me. It wasn't portable enough for an ultraportable and not functional enough as a full laptop. Sure they are built like tanks and I do appreciate the build quality, but every other attribute is tank-like too.If you don't mind that, I guess they are good machines.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
sucks.

i would hate to use anything that runs windows, no matter how cool the pc is. oh well... life isnt always fair. work sucks

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
d wade said:
sucks.

i would hate to use anything that runs windows, no matter how cool the pc is. oh well... life isnt always fair. work sucks

Same here, no matter what specs a PC has, it still bothers me to use it because of the OS that it is running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.