Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hirstopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
So, being the smart-lad that I am I thought I'd go ahead and hook up my 12" G4 powerbook to my tv, as I've only recently returned from travelling Asia and am back in my childhood room *sigh*. I have another monitor that works great as a second monitor, but bigger is better right? Right? As it turns out the tv is really only good as a tv - everything is magnified and hard to read when I put it up on the tv screen. It's quite sad, as I really was looking forward to being a 2 monitor man again.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make my tv work more like a monitor? I've changed the resolution settings on my tv and all that, and I've even tried messing with the tv settings, but nada. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
hirstopher said:
So, being the smart-lad that I am I thought I'd go ahead and hook up my 12" G4 powerbook to my tv, as I've only recently returned from travelling Asia and am back in my childhood room *sigh*. I have another monitor that works great as a second monitor, but bigger is better right? Right? As it turns out the tv is really only good as a tv - everything is magnified and hard to read when I put it up on the tv screen. It's quite sad, as I really was looking forward to being a 2 monitor man again.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make my tv work more like a monitor? I've changed the resolution settings on my tv and all that, and I've even tried messing with the tv settings, but nada. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

My 27 inch flat screen tube works fine as a 2nd monitor. 800x600 works best, 1024x768 is a little small, but readable. Just adjust your resoultions. Other than that, you can't do much else.

cairo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
always found regular tube TVs too harsh on the eyes for reading text myself

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Airforce said:
I use to until I got this flat screen tube. :)
I even find flat screens to be unrealistic for a second monitor (unless you are only going to use them for video). Words are just too fuzzy and I get a huge headache.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
grapes911 said:
I even find flat screens to be unrealistic for a second monitor (unless you are only going to use them for video). Words are just too fuzzy and I get a huge headache.

I guess it works for some and not for others.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
grapes911 said:
I agree. I couldn't do anything but watch movies on the TV. Surfing the web or even trying to go through my iTunes library didn't seem practical.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
hirstopher...

There isnt much you can do with that TV. Especially if it is your standard TV that isnt even HD. You are simply stuck with a terrible looking image.

If that is a HD TV, you might want to try getting better cables. If you are using some cheap cables, that can effect your image quality by a little. Other than that there isnt much you can do since HD TV only allows you to either use the higher resolution or the standard low resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.