Sony 32" Bravia XBR4: 720p Now or 1080p in spring?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hatchet, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

Hi all! Need some tv buying advice.

Some background: My 12 year old Zenith TV blew it's speakers (not completely) but everytime anything loud happens, there is a very loud crackling noise.

So, I'm in the market for a 32"-37" TV.

I've narrowed it down to the 32" Sony Bravia XBR4. The TV is amazing, I've researched it and seen it in person and it's breathtaking.

However, it's native resolution is 720p (with inputs to 1080p/24) instead of 1080p. I was almost completely sold on this TV yesterday until I saw a link to this year's CES where Sony introduced a new 32" with native 1080p.

My question is: Will i be missing out on anything by catching the deal currently for this TV (Best Buy has it marked down online $150) or am i better off waiting for the 1080p version. As far as I know from specs, the only advantages of the 1080p version is the resolution, 1 more HDMI, and a few minor things...

All in all, I may save myself in upwards of $800 now if I purchase today since Sony's new tvs tend to be a bit overpriced at first.

This is for a bedroom with maximum viewing distance of 10 Feet and I've read that 720p doesn't even matter if you aren't viewing on a huge screen and from relatively close-mid range.

Your thoughts are extremely appreciated! :)

2. macdim macrumors 6502

At 32", I can almost guarantee you that you won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. At this size, it makes no sense to pay more for 1080p. I have a 46" XBR4, and let me tell you, you will NOT be disappointed.