Sony 810i users - battery life?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by speekez, Apr 30, 2007.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

to the 810i owners out there

I got a new 810i from Amazon. I like the phone, but battery life is not great so far. I get only about 2 hours of collective talk time before battery is almost dead. I don't use the radio, internet, or other fancy functions on the phone. It's strictly been used for talk and then it goes into standby.

Does this seem normal?

Bad battery perhaps?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, you should definitely be getting more talk time than that. How much standby time do you get? Maybe you should try buying a second battery and seeing how it does?

3. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for chiming in. Maybe I'll ask Amazon for a new battery.

I'm judging battery levels by going into "phone status". I unplugged it from the charger this morning and it was at 100% this morning. I made a single 1 minute call today, and at the close of today it's at 87%.

The phone seems to lose about 5-10% a day just in standby

I think the phone is rated for 8 hours talk/14 days standby. I'd like to get something at least somewhat close to that.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Those figures would of course be optimistic, just like MPG on car ratings. :) 10% a day would make 10 days which is in the rage of good standby time (I haven't kept track of mine, but using it for a year the battery isn't quite as good now), so that doesn't sound like a problem, but I think you should manage more than just 2 hours talk time.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Do you have Bluetooth turned on? I find my battery life is a LOT lower when I have bluetooth enabled all the time compared with when it's off, although its a necessary evil for me as I like to have the phone paired up with BluePhoneElite when I'm at home :rolleyes:

6. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I did have bluetooth turned on. I've shut it off, I'll recharge it full tonight, and give it a go again. I'll report back!

I'd like to experiment with bluetooth communication at some point with my new macpro, but all in good time.

Thanks again for the tip!

7. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I have this phone and I actually just recently cracked the LCD :(
    It was in my pocket when I bumped a counter, so bummed. Looking for a replacement screen right now actually.

But back to topic. I think this phone has great battery life, even when I have bluetooth turned on. I can go two days without charging and make several calls, even listen to mp3s.

8. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm probably just spoiled by my old Sprint Sanyo. Had a real solid battery life. I do like the 810i though and I'm going to test the Blue tooth this weekend with my Mac Pro

9. CDailey macrumors regular

So, did turning Bluetooth off improve your battery life? I know it sure did improve mine when I realized it was always on a few months ago.

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, I like to keep BT off too. I made the dpad up key a shortcut to turn bluetooth on/off quickly, pretty convenient.

11. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502

Update:

After failing to be able to charge to full 100% and noticing that I got a weird "Charging Non-Standard Battery" messages when I would plug my phone into the charger, I decided to inspect my battery.

Turns out my battery had a foreign piece of fuzz stuck/glued on part of the copper connection. I removed the offending fuzz and now my battery charges to full 100% and seems to be lasting longer.

Special thanks to MacRumors member NATO for answering my PM questions and helping me narrow down the problem!!