Sony A200 ooorrr Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IBobby, Jul 22, 2009.

1. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

So am deciding on jumping into the DSLR scene and really need some advice i have read reviews on both these cameras and still cannot decide the only thing i see for me being an issue is the Nikon D40 is only 6.1 while the A200 is 10.2 will i notice a HUGE difference between the both? Any help and advice would be helpful.

Shooting preferences are landscapes, scenes, macro shots, portraits

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I've got a D40 and it is a workhorse, I use it daily and haven't had any real issues with it. That said, the D40 (and most Nikon's dSLR offerings) suffers from one very annoying thing, lenses, or more importantly the inability to use legacy lenses or cheaper lenses without having to resort to manual focus only, the auto-focus motor is built into the af-s lenses that the D40 needs. The Sony on the other hand can accept a large offering of legacy lenses.

3. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

I recently purchased a DSLR,
    personally I wanted the D60 but after little searching
    I came across an D80 for $400 on craigslist,
    I obviously went for the D80.

The D80 is more solid, has more megapixels and is compatible with more lenses. I have used both nikons but I can't speak for the Sony, I held the A350 once and it felt like crap.

If you can spare the money, go for the D80 and 50mm f/1.8 (I started with an 28mm f/2.8 I had from my old analogue camera.) which would max out at $550 total.

I would personally go for the D40 over the A200 anytime.

4. IBobby thread starter macrumors regular

IBobby

Thats what i was thinking, i have been all over researching i want the right one and it looks like i might go with the Nikon D80 Higher MP, newer and all around great camera from dpreview.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Sony makes decent cameras, but Nikon is a camera company, and their cameras - especially DSLRs - will be better. This is also true of lenses. I've got a D40 and highly recommend it.

6. cube macrumors G5

K200D is weather sealed. To get that kind of thing on Nikon you have to look at the D200 and up.

7. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

You don't need weather sealing for the D80 if you're not walking around in the jungle during rain season.... Last week I took my D80 on a boat trip and it caught a wave.... Scared the crap out of me because I only had it for two weeks.... I wept the water off and it still works fine. If you take good care of your gear it can last forever.... my aging nikon F4S is still taking pictures with over 500k clicks on it.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

D40 is a great camera. Megapixels are really pretty irrelevant these days as indicators of image quality.

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

D40 is fantastic. Proper exposure even on a good quality JPEG setting (smaller than RAW, obviously) will still make great quality huge prints.

You'll be slightly limited on lenses that have no internal motor for focus, but it's almost a non-issue. If those are your two choices, the D40 is the winner. D40 is even better than the D40x, imo.

10. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'd say do your research with online reviews. I went for the Sony A200 after reading pretty impressive reviews everywhere and I'm glad I did. Loving it.

11. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

My sister has a D40 and I have an A300 (A200 + Live View + tilting LCD and maybe some other extras, I'm not too sure, my Grandma bought it for herself, didn't like such a big camera and then gave it to me).

I'd messed about with my sister's D40, played with settings and really loved it. When I tried the A300 for the first time, the main thing I noticed was it was a LOT heavier than the D40, then it took a little time getting used to the interface, but is good.

This is a photo I took with the D40 (not using the kit lens, it was a Telephoto lens that came in the package my sister bought):
    [​IMG]

This is a photo taken with my A300, using a Tamron 70-200:
    [​IMG]

They aren't much of a comparison on the bodies, but much more on the lenses, and the idiot behind said camera :rolleyes:

I really like the Sony, and although it is technically a Sony, it's basically Minolta, so there are plenty of cheap good lenses out there second hand, and Sony seem to be making good (but expensive) lenses as well.

The main thing to do is see how the bodies feel, do a little research into the lenses and what you want to take photos of, then who's 'System' you want to buy into. Lenses will last you years, but you may end up replacing the body every 3 or 5 years. You don't want to end up losing money on the lenses you buy if you find you need to change to a different company.

The one downer on the D40 is its need for AF-S lenses (to have Autofocus). For instance, on amazon.co.uk, a regular 50mm 1.4 af lens is £229, the one which will autofocus with a D40 is £311. So that may be a reason to go for a higher Nikon than the D40.

12. IBobby thread starter macrumors regular

IBobby

Alright :) :) :) i just purchased the D80 a little over my budget but you get what you pay for :) NO shipping for a week and a half :(

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

14. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Awesome... Congratulations!!! What lens did you get??