Sony A700 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kwwill3, May 26, 2008.

1. kwwill3 macrumors newbie

I am getting closer to purchasing and i am trying to look at all my options. I am considering an xsi, 40d or sony a700? I am able to purchase at significant discount with the sony coming in under $1000 us. The canons are slightly below msrp. is the a700 the most camera for the money? thanks for your thoughts.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is the Sony the most camera for the money? Yes.

Is the Canon 40D better? Maybe.

Would I get the XSi? No.

For me personally, it'd be a toss-up between the A700 and 40D. If I was to totally switch systems and choose a new one, I may get the Sony A700 if I could buy some sort of 18-50 mm f/2.8 (or similar by Sony, Sigma, or Tamron), a Sigma 30 mm f/1.4, and some sort of ~100 mm macro. I'd probably have other needs later, but I can probably get the lenses I want with either brand. I've used the A700 and 40D, and thought the A700 was beautiful. The 40D felt pretty good too (far better than the 350D I've used, which is similar to the XSi), but I never liked Canon's button layout very much, and though the A700's was much better. Also, the A700 has the beautiful screen, and going back down to a "regular" screen would be unbearable. The quality of LCD wasn't a big issue for me before since I only used it to check histograms, check for general composition stuff, etc. However, now that it is actually useful as a tool on a D300 (and A700, D3), I wouldn't want to use a camera without it.

The 40D definitely produces better JPEGs at default settings, but the A700 can probably churn out some better photos after you play around with the image settings. But then again, I would likely shoot RAW anyway, and when shooting RAW, the image quality difference between cameras becomes rather negligible.