Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Just announced - at a glance looks alright. I'll await the coming blizzard of reviews but it might finally be time to replace my A7r... Perhaps the A7iii will drop in price a bit more too? Anyone else tempted?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Looks like a nice upgrade from the a7iii. Sony seems to have cornered the market on high end entry level.

Reactions: scubachap

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Looks like a nice upgrade from the a7iii. Sony seems to have cornered the market on high end entry level.

I know Sony is calling this “entry level” and “basic” but at $2500 it’s pretty mid-level! That’s the same price as an R6 and in between the Z6 II and Z7 II. It’s nice that there’s a bunch of choice in that price point now (between higher resolution vs faster/better low light performance).

I think Sony does have the market cornered on high end entry level with the A7C, though even that’s twice the price of the (much older and not as capable) EOS RP. Hopefully there will be an RP Mark II to really introduce competition into that price range.

Reactions: scubachap

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I know Sony is calling this “entry level” and “basic” but at $2500 it’s pretty mid-level! That’s the same price as an R6 and in between the Z6 II and Z7 II. It’s nice that there’s a bunch of choice in that price point now (between higher resolution vs faster/better low light performance).

I think Sony does have the market cornered on high end entry level with the A7C, though even that’s twice the price of the (much older and not as capable) EOS RP. Hopefully there will be an RP Mark II to really introduce competition into that price range.
I have no idea if this makes a difference or not in 2021:

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Thanks for the responses. I guess with the advent of impressive camera phones camera companies definition of entry level now means an entry to the old prosumer (or enthusiast category). In my book anything north of £1000 (or dollars / euros etc) isn't entry level for most people. (Mind you, Sony's habit of leaving past models in their line up complicates this).

It'll be interesting to find out how snappy it is and what the 60p 4k etc is like, I'll await the full reviews. The price isn't particularly outrageous but it's not the bargain my A7r felt those years ago. I might just save some money and pick up a cheaper A7III after all, even just a few years ago it would have been a dream camera for a production company.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
For video I think these hybrid cameras need a 100% complete redesign. I got stuck using the A7s models for a variety of corporate videos - it was torture. Even a simple "man on the street" type interview becomes a pain because connecting audio is basically a joke. Over the years I can't remember how many on-camera flashes I've broken off that fragile hot shoe mounting point now Sony wants xlm cables hanging off of it. :rolleyes: :eek: I do like the concept of hybrid as you don't want to carry a fs-7 around but they need a better xlm connection system with the ability to record multiple audio channels - not just pre-mixing everything into two.

For stills, honestly I picked up one of Sony's Rx-100 models, it is so fun, so fun to carry. It really reminds you how much of a hassle taking a full size camera system can become, then you start to understand how much you are missing experiencing the moment dealing with a full size system. Yes if I "need" to go make photos I will endure the effort with a high-megapixel camera such as the R-series, but if its just for fun then I am really appreciating either the RX-100 or honestly just enjoying the moment/experience by not even getting the camera/phone out. Facebook doesn't need another soccer/dinnerplate shot nor do I need another hard drive full of moments lost because I had some screen/viewfinder in front of my face.

Last edited:

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
after rereading my long winded post I guess I should of just said these pseudo $$$$ entry level cameras, why bother either spend more or carry much less and be happier.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Personally, I'd just as soon they leave all the video stuff out of some cameras and let those of us who prefer to shoot only stills not have to waste money buying a camera which, while it has the features and functions we really need and want, also includes features and functions we'll never use.

If I were interested in videography I'd buy a dedicated video camera.

Reactions: someoldguy

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Personally, I'd just as soon they leave all the video stuff out of some cameras and let those of us who prefer to shoot only stills not have to waste money buying a camera which, while it has the features and functions we really need and want, also includes features and functions we'll never use.

The reason is the sensor can do both.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
That's nice and that's fine, but when one isn't interested in the video stuff it's annoying to have that on the camera in the first place.
I am in agreement with you about it. If I were into video, I would prefer a video cinema camera or even a professional cinema camcorder. I have never used the video option on any of my cameras, including the Canon R5 and R6. A cheap cinema camera starts somewhere around $5,000 without lenses and accessories. Sone camcorders are cheaper, however.

Sony, Panasonic, and Canon have some very nice cinema cameras (your pocket is the limit :)

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
That's nice and that's fine, but when one isn't interested in the video stuff it's annoying to have that on the camera in the first place.

thats why it’s always good to have choices in cameras.

I like hybrid cameras and being an A7III owner, I’m glad it can do both well as I mainly use the video features but I like to dabble in photography and can join these conversations with you guys :)

might not upgrade to the IV right away though but if I do find a good deal on it…

Last edited:
Reactions: Clix Pix

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
dc
...prefer to shoot only stills not have to waste money buying a camera... also includes features and functions we'll never use.

And that to me is the problem with all these models that seem to vary by only a fraction of an inch. Without combining an audience who want stills, those who want video, those who want both, cameras would increase in price due to a smaller pool of buyers for any single model.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
And that to me is the problem with all these models that seem to vary by only a fraction of an inch. Without combining an audience who want stills, those who want video, those who want both, cameras would increase in price due to a smaller pool of buyers for any single model.
Not necessarily so. Camera manufactures compete with each other by adding both still photography and video, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the rest, to attract consumers. People love the "bells and whistles"; but in reality most consumers don't use all the features available in the camera. I assume that at lot of us "picture takers" in this and other forums don't use our cameras to shoot videos (maybe an occasional video clip during a wedding, for example?). More than likely professional videographers and film makers use cinema cameras.

The masses are attracted to all the bells and whistles, much like what the cellphone market has to offer, but the market for professional dedicated video or still photography gear will continue.

Last edited:

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007

The reason they put video into the camera is because it sells. And that's good for everyone, including those who don't shoot video (which I don't). If there were separate video and still cameras, they'd both be more expensive than the one that can meet both needs (and thus sell twice as many)!

And that's not to mention features that video has brought to stills, such as driving significantly faster sensor readouts (necessary for 4k120p and 20fps alike).

Reactions: Clix Pix

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL

$2500 (before standard sale/discount pricing) is pretty much entry level for full frame sensor DSLR. Lesser priced are very capable but they are prior generation, two generations in the case of the A7C, that started in the $2500 "entry level" pricepoint, with advanced models like the A7R (and A7C) at the $3200 pricepoint. Drop the price to make room for the new model.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The Nikon folks are all jumping up-and-down with joy over the announcement of Nikon's new Z9, which from the descriptions I've read is pretty much emulating most of the features and functions of Sony's A1. Well, good luck to them! Thing is, it may be a while yet before the new camera and the promised 100-400mm lens are in purchasers' hands, given the supply chain shortages, delivery issues and such that we keep hearing about.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The Nikon folks are all jumping up-and-down with joy over the announcement of Nikon's new Z9, which from the descriptions I've read is pretty much emulating most of the features and functions of Sony's A1. Well, good luck to them! Thing is, it may be a while yet before the new camera and the promised 100-400mm lens are in purchasers' hands, given the supply chain shortages, delivery issues and such that we keep hearing about.
Yes, the waiting lists are long these days, and a lot of the lens adapters. Even some of the Lithium-Ion batteries are placed on backorder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.