Sony A850

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cube, Aug 27, 2009.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yeah, sony's lineup is looking quite promising now. in addition they released the A550/500. will be interesting to see how good the new exemor cmos sensor in low light is.

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Sony

People were saying it 3 years ago with the A100, I didn't believe them then, but I believe them now. Sony is going to compete, even if it kills them.

SLC

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Specifications and pricing aside, I have to say that Sony makes the ugliest DSLRs I have ever seen.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Yeah, and you would expect video in a Sony SLR at those price points when every new camera from Nikon/Canon has it built in. Not that it is necessary, but people have found fun uses for video. It's like buying a cell phone without a camera -- necessary, no, but now it just seems odd.

5. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Ah no video?! That sucks, mostly for me I'm a Director whose new to photography so I need something that fits both fields. Oh well I guess I have to just splurge on the 5DMK2.

6. a350 macrumors regular

Well I would expect video to have effective continuous auto focus and exposure control or I would rather not have it.

Good for Sony to bring a full frame camera to market for $2000.
    Why didn't Nikon or Canon do this? Maybe because they add video without effective continues auto focus and exposure control.

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Probably because Canon and Nikon aren't as eager to grow market share as Sony is. It will be interesting to see how or if this new product affects 5DmkII pricing, as well as the price for the as yet unannounced 24mpx D700 variant that we all expect.

8. anubis macrumors 6502a

Significantly fewer and generally lower quality lenses will remain a problem for Sony for a while, especially with trying to convince professionals and serious amateurs to switch away from Canon and Nikon.

9. MichaelBarry macrumors member

Sony have quite a lot of Zeiss lenses made specially for the Sony fit.
    (85mm f1.4 - damn I want that) :D

10. toxic macrumors 68000

just because it says "Zeiss" doesn't make it any good. also, he's talking about the whole line, not just a few lenses.

for Sony to gain significant market share, they need to provide a compelling reason for Canon and Nikon shooters to switch. I don't see that.