Sony Alpha camera mounts

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by juanm, Jun 10, 2014.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So, this might seem like a silly question, but I'm thinking about getting a Sony A7S later this year, and want to know which lenses/adapters I should get, and I can't for the life of me understand Sony's mount system:

So we have:
    - E-mount
    - A-mount
    - NEX mount (which apparently is the same as E-mount)
    - ... cropped sensor variants of each mount!

Is A-mount specifically for Alpha cameras? It would make sense (α-A), but apparently, it's just a misguiding moniker.

I'm familiar with the Sony FS100/FS700 video cameras. They sport what Sony calls en E-Mount. I know I can get adapters for them to use Canon Lenses. Basically, I have lots of good full frame Nikon glass, and would like to know which lenses I can use via a Metabones adapter.

What is wrong with picking a name and sticking to it? Nikon F mount has been around for half a century! It's not like the name impacts in any way on quality!

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

The A-mount used to be for Alphas, the E for NEXs... but it ain't so clear any more. The A-mount is the same mount used for years by Minolta (that Sony acquired, tech-wise) and sports both full-frame and cropped lenses. Any Minolta AF lens will mount on a Sony A-mount. I'm pretty certain that with Sony's own lenses, the distinguishing characters on the lens itself is DT for crop lenses and full frame lenses won't have DT (though I'm not 100% certain on this).

E-mount and NEX are the same (again, best of my knowledge). Unfortunately, Sony has decided to call their new E-mount camera Alphas, also. Again, to the best of my knowledge, Alpha A-mounts are two digit names (A77, A99, etc.) and E-mounts are four digit (A3000, etc.). Then again, the A7S you mentioned is E-mount but full frame...

As for the Canon lenses, IDK... probably can use most any that fits the mount adapter, but you'll most likely lose AF and most auto functions.

3. juanm thread starter macrumors 65816

juanm

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. You've got to admit it's confusing!

About the lenses I'll use on it, it's for video, so I don't mind a bit losing autofocus and autoexposure (as a matter of fact, I plan on using it with Manual-everything lenses).
    Thanks again!

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

No problem - it definitely IS confusing lol. I have an a290 (older A-mount) and have been shopping a NEX/new Alpha for a while as a secondary. :)

These old "manual" lenses can be a lot of fun, too - I have one that I use on occasion (a 135mm f2.8 prime "portrait" lens). Reminds me of the not-so-good old days before instant gratification and sharing. :)