Sony Alpha?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hisdem, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Hi all. I am traveling in January, and I am looking to buy my first DSLR. Unfortunately I can't afford anything too fancy, and unless some discounts pop up, I won't be able to afford a current generation Nikon or a Canon. :(

However, I was checking what is available on my budget, and came across Sony Alpha's. DSLR-290L and 390L to be precise. Does anyone here have any of these? Would you recommend it? I ask because I haven't seen many (or any) professional photographers using Sony, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Thanks in advance!

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Unless you're planning to go pro, don't worry that much if you don't see too many pros shooting with a certain brand camera (although I'd bet more than a few pros are using the Sony A-850 full-frame camera in studios.) Personally, I can't really offer any feedback on the Sony line of cameras, but here's a link to DPReviews brief review of the A-390.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra390/

Maybe it will help.

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

They're a great range of cameras, new and 3rd lens selection probably not as available as Canon/Nikon, but you can choose from a good selection of old Minolta lenses (Sony bought out Minolta prior to the Alpha release).

4. NightGeometry macrumors regular

I have an Alpha 700, my girlfriend a 200. I think they are ace cameras. There'll be a lot people recommending Canon and Nikon. I think the best thing is go into a shop and try them out, see how they handle.

To be honest, as far as I can tell, unless you have a very very specific use, there is not a lot between Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and so forth. (Pentax actually appear to be getting the most out of sensors at the moment, which is interesting as it is the same sensor in the latest Alpha's).

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I can't say about the newer models but I am still using my Sony Alpha 200 I have logged more then 20,000 shots on it and actually sell some of my prints to famous people. I would not call myself a pro but I do occasionally shot for money. Being in a photo class I get to play around with a lot of cameras and honestly I can't say that I have found another camera in or near the price range that I prefer more then my Sony. I have played with the Canon XT's, and XTI's even the T1 and some Nikons like the D40 and D80 and honestly prefer mine. It has a nice grip fits perfectly in my hand. The menus are quick and easy to navigate and it works well overall. Though I do like that the T1s have video which is pretty darn cool...

Anyway I would highly recommend Sony based on my past experience with them.

Of course everyone has different opinions so try one in the store if you can for yourself. Honestly at least for me one of the most important things for me is how well it fits your hands and how fast and easy you can navigate the menu. So give it a try and see what you like. Don't forget you can get used cameras from Canon or Nikon in your price range so don't forget them yet.

Have fun with your photographic adventures.

6. Hisdem thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Thanks to all for the quick and complete replies! That review really is something, I am going for the A-290L if the price points stay where they are. In any case, I'll post here if something new comes up :)

7. Hisdem thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Well, it's been a while since I started the thread, but after evaluating my budget possibilities, I ended up getting a Sony DSLR-A290 and love it! Was really looking at the Nikon D3100, but it was too expensive. So far I really like it. Awesome improvement over my previous DSC-W55 :p

Thank you for your help guys!