Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Dubb

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
I don't think its a good Idea. Sony is known for stealling internal structures of a company and making their own. Small example but undetected: Nintendo and Sony had planned to worked together on an expansion for the Super Nintendo (do you remember that) which would enable the Super Nes to play cd-roms. Sony backed out the deal then created the playstation a seperate cd-rom console...Nuffff said.

12thgear

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
DC
Playstation

Actually, you have the console history backwards. Sony partnered with Nintendo to make a Super Famicom/CD device. Nintendo backed out at the last minute to work with Phillips. So Sony continued development and beefed it up, creating what would be the PlayStation.

Originally posted by Digital Dubb
I don't think its a good Idea. Sony is known for stealling internal structures of a company and making their own. Small example but undetected: Nintendo and Sony had planned to worked together on an expansion for the Super Nintendo (do you remember that) which would enable the Super Nes to play cd-roms. Sony backed out the deal then created the playstation a seperate cd-rom console...Nuffff said.

patmcfar8

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Reno, NV
IIRC, Nintendo is the one who backed out on Sony... regardless, they're big tech companies that would screw each other over to increase the bottom line regardless. ;)

Anyway here's a few other interesting tidbits from the article...

Idei on the similarities of Steve Jobs and Ken Kutaragi: "Two weeks ago I went to see Steve Jobs. I see many simliarities between Ken Kutaragi and Steve Jobs. Apple and SCE are about the same size, and they are both micromanagers who like to dive into the details of things. But at Pixar, Steve Jobs is very hands-off. Yet both of his companies are very successful. It's very interesting. He's learned when to be hands-on and when to be hands-off. If Ken can learn when to be hands-off, like Steve, well, this is what I'm hoping for..."

Also, later...

"But we would like to work more closely with them (Apple). My plan now is to get Steve Jobs together with our own Steve - Ken Kutaragi. They haven't met yet. It would be interesting to see how they would get along, because both of them think they have all of the answers. [Laughter] Where we go from here with Apple all depends on the chemistry between Ken and Steve."

I'm a big fan of Sony (not their computers, mind you) and I think any alliance with them could lead to good things for Apple. Just my opinion... ;)

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Maybe there will be a Sony-Apple partnership to help the iTunes Music Store reach the rest of the world, or at least initially in Japan. I'm not sure how I feel about the potential BMG/Sony Music merger -- it could be harmful or beneficial.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sony Mac...

In the FWIW department, Sony has already produced a Macintosh OS computer for Apple.

I used it.

It was very innovative at the time and it worked great!

Sushi

JohnGillilan

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Here's another scenario that just popped up in my mind:

Does anyone remember the rumors of an Apple branded serious competitor to Digidesign's ProTools?? Sony's Oxford Audio Division makes a great console and their semi-recent release of Oxford plug-ins for ProTools have been extremely successful. Maybe Apple eMagic and Sony Oxford will release a co-branded software/hardware combo. This seems farfetched but who knows??

Also remember, Apple recently trademarked "morphpad" and "ultrabeat" under the heading of "computer hardware and software; software for use in authoring, editing, synthesizing, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio data." (most lilekly unrelated)

Again, just some scattered thoughts of mine. Any thoughts??

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by plasticparadox

If I had to use a PC, I would buy a Vaio.

And then you'd promptly be pissed at the quality. Vaio quality has steadily been decreasing over the last few years. I know 6 relatives/friend/coworkers that have Sony hardware and in at least 4 of the cases, if memory serves, they have had hardware problems.

I'll live and die by Sony consumer products, all my home entertainment hardware is Sony, with one exception. Memory stick. Never again will I ever touch anything that uses that proprietary PoS. I purchased a Sony Cybershot 707 5megapixl camera 3 years ago at a cost of around one grand. Sony had stated they would be releasing memory sticks larger then 128MB in the near future. (This IS fact.) And in fact they did do such a thing. Memory sticks that are not compatible with the old version of the memory stick, dubbed Memory Stick Pro. They offered backward compatibility only to the extent that you have to flip a fricking switch on the memory stick select media card to access each 128MB partition. For a camera this is insane since to find a picture I have to plug it into the computer, search through the camera, oops its not on this partition, unplug the camera, remove the card, flip the switch, replace the card, plug the camera back in.
So in less then 6 months the dumb***** at Sony laid my one grand purchase obsolete all because they couldn't follow open standards such as CF or SD memory. If they had this would never have been an issue. Memory stick is not a superior format in any way shape or form. Its just a money generator plain and simple. And that money generator cost me a good camera. Sure it still works but AFAICT the largest “bone” Sony has tossed those million plus pre memory stick pro users is the pathetic 256 card. And even if they did would I want to deal with 4 switches on a card for 512MB?!?!? Lets see which partition did I leave that picture in?

NEVER again will I EVER purchase any Sony device that uses the memory stick. This applies to cameras, PDA, cellphones, etc. I got burned once in life. Not twice.

With that being said I still want to see Sony and Apple develop standards in the online music realm. Like it or not DRMed music is fragmented with 2 major players (WMA and AAC.) and a few minor players. Microsoft’s WMA is seen as a wanna be standard to the extent that its in many consumer based devices. Now let me think for a second who in this article is the master of consumer products? ;) Sony teaming with Apple could lead to widespread use of AAC and frankly I think there is growing animosity between Sony and Microsoft. There can’t be any love lost between the companies when it comes to the PSX2 vs. the Xbox and I’m guessing the thought of leaving control of a media codec in the hands of Microsoft just plain scares Sony. The rest of the industry may be the whores of Microsoft but I’m betting Sony knows better. That and haven’t they been using AAC for years? :confused: Wasn’t it called atrackt a few years ago or something?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Maybe Sony has been getting better. Over the last 10 years I bought several Sony products, some costing thousands of dollars, and I have been disappointed in the quality (both in design and manufacturing). I am very unlikely to buy another Sony product.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Re: Sony Mac...

Originally posted by sushi
In the FWIW department, Sony has already produced a Macintosh OS computer for Apple.

I used it.

It was very innovative at the time and it worked great!

I also loved my Powerbook 100. Poky, but oh so sweet.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
SJ and Akio Morita

It seems to me that the Sony that SJ wants to emulate was the Sony Co-Founded and directed by Akio Morita, who almost single handedly created consumer electronics as we know it today.

I am in constant amazement at the perfectionism (often flawed) that SJ embodies, whether it be fonts, music, art, animation, or consumer products. Still, recent speculation of Sony purchasing Pixar, makes me a bit nervous.

While I certainly appreciate Steve's direction of both Apple and Pixar, it seems obvious that he would love to tackle the challenges of directing a far larger domain.

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Why not make all the Sony Playstation games run on Mac OS X? An extra chip in the iMac or something. That would be cool . . ! :D

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
i personally like sony consumer products and will pay a premium for them.

however, i will never buy a sony computer.

for desktops ill build my own.

for laptops, its ibm

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Nintendo and Sony: Revisionist history

Originally posted by Digital Dubb

This is quite possibly the most twisted, messed up story in gaming console history. Here is what DID happen. (at least as far as I remember it since its late and I don’t feel like digging around the 100+ copies of Next Generation magazine I have.
Sony and Nintendo entered into a partnership to build a CD-ROM based drive addon for the Super NES dubbed PSX since no one at the time knew what it was going to be hence the X variable. (The name that stuck for the Playstation. Sort a thumbing of the nose at Nintendo for giving Sony the brush off.) It was intended to combat the Sega CD that was released for the Saga Genesis at that time. At some point in time, well into the development stage on Sony’s part, Nintendo said goodbye and they parted ways. Personal theory. I'm betting Nintendo saw how badly an addon did for Sega (Sega CD had only minor success followed up by the colossal blunder called 32X.) and decided to ****can the program before they dropped to much coin into it.
Contrary to popular belief there was no fully built system for the Super NES. There was however the idea of Sony and gaming that did flourish. It’s probably a forgone conclusion that at least some of the folks that worked on that project went on to build the Playstation but that’s it. There was NO theft of anything.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
My impression of Sony:

Innovative
Feature Rich
Poor Quality Control
Zero Customer Service

My impression of Apple:

Innovative
Features in Proportion to Need
Decent Quality Control (great for software, a little better than average for hardware)
Okay Customer Service

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Design wise they seem nothing alike.
Apple designs easy to use interfaces. Almost zen like in use. Sony OTOH likes to cram everything into one small package with layers of techno menus and tiny buttons to use.

I like some Sony products but not others. Panasonic does just as well with innovation.

Where Sony and Apple are most alike is in their philosophy that "what we design is what you need". Take Sony's proprietary Betacam, minidisc or the newer SACD formats. All while high quality basically died with the public. Both companies tend to be too controlling when it comes to product. Its next to impossible to win this way because the market demands competition. Even if you beat the competition it does you little good then to keep it all to yourself by not licensing it.

Apple's finally changing this by releasing the hPod....

ph8te

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2004
Germany
I think that Apple's strategy of expanding their parnetship base is a good idea. After the slump in the economic world over the last xouple of years, it is good to see that companies are trying to help one another in creating new products and ideas.

Imagine having a Sony based home theatre system with all the bells and whistles, and the entire system can then be controlled from the Mac. There are many areas that Apple and Sony can work together. Sony could come out with a Nokia-like "Communicator" based on an OS with a light version or OS X. The possibilites with a strategic partnershp between these two companies are endless...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Re: SJ and Akio Morita

Originally posted by TMay
It seems to me that the Sony that SJ wants to emulate was the Sony Co-Founded and directed by Akio Morita, who almost single handedly created consumer electronics as we know it today.
Morita-san was a very interesting individual.

He definitely knew how to innovate and lead a developing industry.

Good skier too! :)

Sushi

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
The only PCs i've owned are Sony desktop and laptop. but i still prefer Macs.. so i had to "reswitch" and go Mac again. My windows PCs crash like mad... unfortunately, many of the apps i use only run on Windows. should be called "Hanger" not "Windows" since it hangs every other boot up.

Anyway, Sony makes awesome designs and so does Mac, so with them working together, they can bring the ultimate PDA. "iClie" or something. the new CLIE TH series is really looking good... i would get it if i didn't have the hope Mac would come out with one sometime this year... haha.

the silver fox

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
uk
The Phone, The CEOs, The Clie and like... stuff.

I would love to see them produce great products together. The phone would obviously make the most sense given that it is a well known fact that Apple is a member of the consortium that provides the mp4 technology currently used in Sony-Ericsson phones like the P800 or P900 and, as the article mentions, the Clie.

However, there was an article on the register last year (couldnt find it, sorry) where Sony talked about how 'difficult' Steve was to work with. The problem here is one of a potential ego clash. Until relatively recently, Sony has ruled the nest when it comes to consumer products (particularly personal music systems). They must have been a mite peeved when the iPod came along and robbed them of a large (music player) user base. It stated in the article that it was unlikely that they would be working with each other again in the near future. I can only imagine that it is due to their continuing profits slide that they have realised that it was time to swallow hard and form a strategic alliance (an awful lot of mac users like or own a Clie as opposed to a Palm piece of hardware). It would be great if Sony was able to get round the lack of OOTB support for Macs in the next revision of the Palm OS (Cobol I believe).

Back to the phone... I myself have a P900. Since I bought it I haven't touched my Clie. Steve is quite right about the PDA, its time is over. It's all about convergence technologies. Apart being part of the consortium that provides Ericsson with its Video player, it has also worked with them directly to make sure that the SyncML technology works beautifully with Apple's iSync software (Well done Apple-France on coding that), and as Steve always says, "Who knows what we are working on in our labs".

ph8te

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2004
Germany
Originally posted by billyboy
Maybe they are collaborating on a consumer device to play Sony-Pixar movies.

There always has to be one who does not take these things seriously.

LOL

rotorblade

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by neutrino23
Maybe Sony has been getting better. Over the last 10 years I bought several Sony products, some costing thousands of dollars, and I have been disappointed in the quality (both in design and manufacturing). I am very unlikely to buy another Sony product.

I have to agree with you! I think the quality of Sony products has taken a serious nose-dive over the years. Every Sony product I've purchased since my CDP-707ESD and DTC-1500ES has had serious quality issues. Until Sony starts delivering quality products again, they're off my list.

mactarkus

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Florida
Sony makes nice TVs, however...

I'm a huge fan of Sony products, products that include their stereo equipment and televisions, etc. However, I haven't been too keen on their computers since after they co-designed the PowerBook 100 way back when. Sony is trying hard on the whole convergence idea, but unfortunately they had little choice but to jump into the Wintel world where cheap is king. Their desktops and laptops do little more than slap different enclosures on the same commodity components running the same bloated OS. I think they should stick to beautiful televisions. It is nice to see them working with Apple -- I just don't know how they'll divide up the market between them in areas where they directly compete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.