sony and mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by isethx, Dec 29, 2008.

1. isethx macrumors regular

do sony avchd cameras play well with a macbook pro?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Good.

Do you mean the AVCHD file off the camera or hooking the camera up to your Mac and viewing it. What type of camera are you using, what type of computer do you have and what are the specs, and how are you connecting the camera to the computer? Log and Capture in Final Cut? Import from camera in iMovie? These are things that can change everything. AVCHD files extensions include .mts, .m2ts, and .m2t. These can be converted with a video converter application that supports conversion from the file type you are viewing. Overall, AVCHD does play well on a mac. I think that QuickTime can view it and it will show in HD in QuickTime as long as it hasn't already been compressed. There isn't any reason why the picture would look bad uncompressed, right off the camera. It depends on if the camera can be hooked up as a device through FireWire or USB to view it in QuickTime through Finder.

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

4. isethx thread starter macrumors regular

well i have a sony hdr cx 12 camcorder. and i'm going to buy final cut studio 2 and a 17 inch macbook pro if it is updated soon.

i guess my question is: is that a good camcorder and will it plug right in and i can get my footage into final cut studio 2 problem free? i do not want to have to install all this extra sony software etc, i just want it to work =)

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I'm glad to hear that you are buying a great computer with a great suite of software!:D Since your camera (Sony HDR-CX12) records HD in AVCHD, (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 to be exact) once you connect your camera through USB, you can drag the files from the camera (shown as a device in Finder) to the capture scratch folder in the hard drive you want the files on. Then, in Final Cut Pro, you can right click in your project bin and import files. Find your files that you want to use in your capture scratch folder and your set! It should work problem free.

6. singhy44 macrumors member

I was worried about my new Sony HDR-SR12 not working with my Mac, but it's good I found this thread, I'm very grateful.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

There are other threads about sony in the digital video category of MacRumors Forums that may also be able to help you. I'm glad you found this informative.

Regards,
    David