Sony BDX-S600U External Blu-Ray Writer

Discussion in 'iMac' started by electrojamin, Feb 15, 2012.

1. electrojamin macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone has used the above external blu-ray drive with their mac?

I am wanting to do a more permanent backup of my Aperture library and Music and thought an external blu-ray drive would fit the bill nicely.

I'd like to assume this would be a simply case of plug and play with my mac, but wanted to see if anyone has already done this?

I am not fussed about watching blu-ray movies through it, just need it for writing files.

I use time machine hooked up to my NAS so my iMac is readily backed up, but if both were to go pop at the same time, I'd loose years of precious photos and memories, a more physical copy would give me some peace of mind.

Thanks in advance.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

OS X supports file storage through Blu-Ray natively. It's only actual playback that OS X doesn't support.

With that said, any BR Drive should work. I use an ASUS one, but I don't write things to it, I use it to rip my Blu-Ray discs for my ATV.

3. electrojamin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, sounds like it should work then. I am gonna get one and give it a go.