Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
That does look rather nice - Vaio laptops look fantastic :). Weighing in at 3.8kgs/1.3" thick/1.5 - 2hours battery life I think it's still a little outside what Apple would regard as acceptable at present though. Perhaps rev 2 or 3 of the MBPs.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
eva01 said:
2hr battery life. i didn't look at that, but dear god that is horrendous :rolleyes:
Yeah I wonder what that equates to in real life..... It's more a desktop replacement than a super-portable lappy by the looks. There has to be some trade-off for that massive screen and lovely specs :).

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
eva01 said:
2hr battery life. i didn't look at that, but dear god that is horrendous :rolleyes:

No real point in being a laptop with that battery life but it does look like a good computer, too bad it is running windows... I hope we can see some blu-ray drives or hd drives coming to the Mac soon.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Most 17" Sony notebooks are only 1-2 hour battery life.

We are actually stocking the S model at John Lewis when it is available, along with a Toshiba G30 with HD DVD-ROM drive, (DVD burner combined, but no HD DVD burning). We have asked to trial both at our branch in Nottingham.

I can see the MacBook Pro 17" following with similar specs further down the line. If Sony can do it for £2000, I expect Apple could do it for a similar price within 12 months. I also expect a lot of these features to find their way onto the Mac Pro when launched either as standard or options, (really the only one missing off the PowerMac is Blu Ray). I'd of course like to buy an iMac in about 12-18 months time with digital TV tuner and Blu Ray for a fairly standard price too, as this would fit in with my purchasing timescale.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I think Blu-Ray would be an awesome addition to the iMac or MacBook line. As for the Sony laptop, I have never understood this whole putting two hard drives in a laptop idea. I can see multiple drives in a desktop (I've got 4 at home), but putting more drives in a laptop results in computer that will suck infinitely more juice and get a battery life of, well 2 hours. That's what mobile firewire drives are for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.