Sony-BMG on iTMS Australia?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SMH.com.au reports that Sony-BMG and Apple may be coming to an agreement to supply Sony-BMG's music on the new Australian iTunes Music Store.

The iTunes Music Store for Australia was launched on Tuesday, October 25th. But notably absent was the music from Sony-BMG. According to previous reports, pricing disputes had led to the long delays in the launch of the Austrlian music store.

According to this new article, negotiations are coming to a close:

"There's a couple of points left to finalise, the negotiations are going really well and we hope that they will be all settled soon and we'll be on track too"
Pricing remains a contentious issue between Apple and the Music Industry. Previous reports have noted the ongoing difference of opinion. The music industry has been pushing for a tiered pricing system while Apple has insisted on a single price point for all songs. This will be an ongoing issue as Apple's current agreements with the US music labels ends in early 2006.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Maybe the artists represented by Sony-BMG got into an uproar? I checked Sony Australia music site and there are literally thousands of famous artists represented by Sony. I then cross checked against iTMS AUS and found several artists listed, but perhaps they were listed before signing up.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
would it be that bad to have varying prices on music? what's the consensus here?

i wouldn't care about different prices for different songs.

i'm just afraid it would open the door for the music industry to quietly raise the average prices of music and to rip the customers off.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
andiwm2003 said:
would it be that bad to have varying prices on music? what's the consensus here?
Very very Bad
andiwm2003 said:
i'm just afraid it would open the door for the music industry to quietly raise the average prices of music and to rip the customers off.
And thats exactly what would happen. Charge you 89¢ for The Mocarena and $3 for the song you actually want.
Do you really think they would be pushing this hard for it if they weren't making a tidy profit.

kinnyboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2004
Aussie music store

Being in the UK i use the british iTMS but is it possible for me to buy songs from the Australian iTMS because there are songs by Aussie artists that I obviously can't get from the UK one.

Any help much appreciated

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Dr. Dastardly said:
Charge you 89¢ for The Mocarena and $3 for the song you actually want.
Do you really think they would be pushing this hard for it if they weren't making a tidy profit.
i think that $3.00 for ANY song is completely a ripoff. i mean who is really going to pay that much when they can get the CD for 14.99 or less with all the songs, and all the artwork.

lets just say that there are 10 songs on the CD and it is new and over priced at 14.99, that is only $1.50 a song.

nobody will pay more that .99 for a song, but i could see paying less for some of the content.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
kinnyboy said:
Being in the UK i use the british iTMS but is it possible for me to buy songs from the Australian iTMS because there are songs by Aussie artists that I obviously can't get from the UK one.

you need a credit card registered in aussie land. i use my american credit card for the american store and the german credit card for the german store. it works.

i don't know yet if a friend in aussie land can buy a song for you as gift that you can play then in uk. if it works you don't need an aussie credit card, just an aussie friend.:D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Cless said:
Maybe this means good news for Sony-BMG in Japan for the iTMS as well. One can only hope.
Sony are so big they don't know what they are doing. Notice in this article that negotiations aren't even being held with Sony Australia now, the parent company had to step in.

The situation in Japan is much the same, it's a whole different company under the same corporate umbrella. Sony upper manglement must have their fingernails chewed to the nub by now, seeing all the contradictory things their various entertainment and manufacturing subsidiaries do.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
It appears that Sony has lost it recently. They have other problems, like more wimpy iPod "killers" that will flounder like the last round and, at the corporate level, they have had to go to a CEO that isn't Japanese.

As for the iTunes problem, they are sitting around while sales have broken 600,000,000 songs knowing they are loosing money. Their artists know that also, which is nice when it's time to renew contracts.

And to think that Sony used to be one of the smartest companies around.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
andiwm2003 said:
And it also removes a lot of the simplicity that makes iTunes so appealing and user-friendly. Competing services often have terms (including price sometimes) that vary from song to song, and it's NOT well-received.

I hope Apple's not forced into doing that--like they were in Japan! (But Japan's music market sounds different--and more expensive!--than what other countries are used to.)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
andiwm2003 said:

i wouldn't care about different prices for different songs.

There is a poll going on MacBytes regarding tierd pricing. The only problem would be that the music execs would probably rather have new "hot" songs priced above .99c rather than at 99c and older songs should be priced below 99c but I doubt that will happen:rolleyes:

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
I don't trust them

winmacguy said:
There is a poll going on MacBytes regarding tierd pricing. The only problem would be that the music execs would probably rather have new "hot" songs priced above .99c rather than at 99c and older songs should be priced below 99c but I doubt that will happen:rolleyes:
I don't trust their judgment on song pricing.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Vancouver
Macrumors said:
Pricing remains a contentious issue between Apple and the Music Industry. Previous reports have noted the ongoing difference of opinion. The music industry has been pushing for a tiered pricing system while Apple has insisted on a single price point for all songs. This will be an ongoing issue as Apple's current agreements with the US music labels ends in early 2006.
Gosh, record companies are all about profits!
I mean, iTunes is a big reason why a lot people don't steal music now. It's at a very good price (per song or album), it's easy to locate and purchase. There's no need to worry about different prices per song cause then people will have to bring out their calculators and be like...well this is a bit much...and then shortly, people will go back to limewire.
Record companies should be begging to sign on for the next 10 years and stop bitching about not getting any money. They would get less money if it weren't for Apple - people would still be downloading music illegally. :mad:

Lertie32

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
CA
Music Mojo

Tiered pricing is a BAD idea and will send everybody running right out to the nearest P2P source.

Bear in mind though that the record companies are not getting the full profit of the 99 purchase price - it's minus whatever Apple's cut is. That's probably part of why they want a price hike (along with outright greed).
:(

I have ZERO interest in the music execs' opinions - especially after that huge news story a few months ago about music companies admiting to buying radio play time for certain artists and songs - COMPLETELY manipulating the public music supply, sales, and overall influence of opinion/popularity.
:mad:

So... the Billboard charts are simply record company propaganda, and J-Lo really DOES suck. :p

The music industry needs a major overhaul and hopefully iTMS will help foster a new evolution.
:cool:

kinnyboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2004
andiwm2003 said:
you need a credit card registered in aussie land. i use my american credit card for the american store and the german credit card for the german store. it works.

i don't know yet if a friend in aussie land can buy a song for you as gift that you can play then in uk. if it works you don't need an aussie credit card, just an aussie friend.:D

Thanks for that. How do I actually access the Aussie iTunes store? When I click on store it takes me to the UK one!!

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Don't they understand that if prices go any higher, people will go back to p2p sharing to get the song they want? These discussions would be a lot easier if people looked back at the reasons the iTMS exists. I think the $1 price tag for songs in the US is reasonable and Apple probaby knows what the best prices are for each other country.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
kinnyboy said:

As long as you have an Aussie billing address and Credit card you shouldnt have any problems.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
kinnyboy said:
Thanks for that. How do I actually access the Aussie iTunes store? When I click on store it takes me to the UK one!!
Go to the bottom of the page where it gives you the country list and click on the Australian store. As shown at the bottom of my screen shot:)

Attachments

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
kinnyboy said:
Access the store as usual. Go to the home page, and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see a drop list with the text "Choose Country:" beside it, and I'm willing to bet that it'll say "UK" with a stylised British flag on the right.

Change the country in the drop list to Australia, and you're set.

Edit: Pipped at the post by winmacguy ... sigh ...

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Lertie32 said:
I have ZERO interest in the music execs' opinions - especially after that huge news story a few months ago about music companies admiting to buying radio play time for certain artists and songs - COMPLETELY manipulating the public music supply, sales, and overall influence of opinion/popularity.
Damn, gotta check that out. not surprising in the least. Their sense of entitlement to our ears is offensive. Let people buy what they like. good god.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Lertie32 said:
Hello, this is 1959 calling, we want our scandal back! The weirdest thing that came out in the 1960 hearings is that it turned out to have no real correlation with what sold well; the percentage of payola and non-payola hits turned out to be about the same. Why money continues to be poured down that hole is something of a mystery.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I really don't think that Apple would ever go to tierd pricing...Apple knows better. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they raised prices soon, they've had $.99 for a while, and now record labels want more money.