Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsblucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I have a pre HDMI Mini. Previously plugged and played with other LCD screens, hitachi and samsung, no problem.

But the new Bravia doesn't recognize the mini as a PC input.

I screen share my Mini from my PowerBook and the Sony tv IS picked up in the display settings with 1980x1080 res.

And you can trick the Bravia into recognizing the Mini by plugging in another machine first (I used a PowerBook), but once you choose to watch TV the PC input is lost, and you have to swap cords again. Frustrating and unacceptable!!

Has anyone had success with a mini DVI to HDMI female adaptor? (to avoid VGA). Or is the problem to do with the Mac Mini (e.g. Doesn't send HDCP compliant signals like PowerBook does)??

TIA

Matthew

dcoulson

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Has anyone had success with a mini DVI to HDMI female adaptor? (to avoid VGA). Or is the problem to do with the Mac Mini (e.g. Doesn't send HDCP compliant signals like PowerBook does)??

I have a 2009 Mac Mini with both mini-DVI->HDMI and mini-DisplayPort->HDMI - Both seem to work nicely, although I'm not sure if it supports HDCP or not. You could also try doing DVI into your TV

Does your VGA adapter work with a regular monitor?

mrsblucher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I have a 2009 Mac Mini with both mini-DVI->HDMI and mini-DisplayPort->HDMI - Both seem to work nicely, although I'm not sure if it supports HDCP or not. You could also try doing DVI into your TV

Does your VGA adapter work with a regular monitor?

Thanks.. Are you using a Sony Bravia? Ive used the miniDVI-VGA connection with several other LCD TVA and regular monitors. seems it's a problem specific to the bravia, and from what I've read others have had similar problems

but I havnt come across an explanation that isn't a guess, or a solution, or confirmation that using HDMI adaptors will work.

I would like to give the hdmi adaptor a try, but before I shell out for more cords I don't need....!

Matt

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I use a pre-HDMI Mini and have no problems with a Sony Bravia LCD projector or a Sony Bravia 40" LCD via VGA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.