Sony Cam 8 > Digital

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wrinkster22, Apr 15, 2012.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I have a Sony Camera 8.
    I have several tapes of priceless videos.
    How can I get them to a digital format.
    Also when I play it back on my tv, it looks squiggly is that the player or the cassettes?
    I am located in the Toronto area and if anyone can recommend someone to convert these to a digital format of any kind (ideally DVD) it would be appreciated.
    How much would this cost?
    Thanks

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Check your Craigslist.
    If you have a bunch of tapes (and still a camera), it'll be cheaper to get yourself a converter, or look on ebay for a Digital 8 camera. The latter will play your tapes and will be able to transfer them to your Mac via Firewire.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That old Hi8 analog camera is going to look awful on an HDTV. Not much you can do as the format is low resolution and squiggly usually means the tracking is awry. You can possibly still buy analog video to USB / Firewire converters and DIY but I wouldn't get my hopes up about improving the quality.
    Which model was it?

4. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I will check CL. My mac does not have firewire (Air)

My TV is not HD anyway. What does awry mean?
    There was a cable (analog, composite) and we connected it and it looked fine really. (In terms of quality)

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I hear you. I blew it, myself. I used to have a Digital8 deck that played back 8 and Hi8 tapes with firewire output, and I didn't digitize the video shot on 8 of my wedding in 2000. Not sure if the tape is still any good, even... but someday, I'm going to get my hands on a deck and capture it.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030