Sony clock radio dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by acousticbiker, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ponygurl macrumors newbie

I have the Sony ICF-C1iP clock with dock in black and yes, it does both play audio and charge the iPhone 3g BUT do get a message when you dock it about it needing to be in Airplane mode and then another one about the accessory not being designed for this ipod - however it still works and charges.

2. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Does it sit pretty securely? And do these messages only occur the first time or each time it's docked? Do you need to dismiss them each time for the functions to work?

3. ponygurl macrumors newbie

The dock doesn't use dock adapters but has a little back rest that you can adjust so it sits good once you get it set.

As for the messages, yep get them everytime. sigh. I think the airplane mode one will be for the long haul as it's a phone - unless of course you flip into airplane mode BEFORE docking - and not just an ipod so it wants you to flip that off but the accessory message is still annoying. Especially since it does in fact charge it. I think you have to dismiss them but haven't tried that. I would think though that you would have to do that - it's gonna have the message on the screen and to touch anything to kick music off - thinking it would stop playing when you dock it but not certain so you would need to dismiss the message to press play again. CORRECTION/UPDATE: When I went to bed, I played with it - put it in Airplane mode, started some music, docked it, you do get the accessory warning but music continued to play without dismissing the warning. Then if you undock the warning just goes away. SO if you get your ducks lined up before docking it, you would not have to dismiss the error.

I do like it and am happy that it does charge and it does play music!

4. dkny3362 macrumors newbie

There is more than 1 model of this Sony Dock. I bought mine online from Circuit City and I do not get any sort of "airplane mode" errors on it. Mine doesn't give the static sounds when I recieve phone calls either since it is the compatible model for the Iphone. They look identical, but notice the different model numbers. The second link you have listed is compatible with the iphone 3g.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...sem/rpsm/oid/209115/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICFC1iPM..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Y19GE8G9TVY20ZXN167

I see the reviews aren't that great on Amazon for this model, but I really do like mine alot and have had no issues since I got it a few weeks ago.

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I almost made the mistake of ordering the wrong model because I didn't even notice their were two models and only focused on the ones on sale.

Right now the non-compatible ICF-C1iP is on sale for $49 at J&R, or $58 at OneCall.

But the MK2 model (ICF-C1iPMK2) that's compatible with the iPhone is still pretty much $99.

What are the disadvantages of using the non-compatible one besides messages when you dock it? Do you have to set it to airplane mode, or can you just ignore the messages and still receiver calls while docked. And does charging still work, remote, all other features? Curious, seeing how the older model is half off.

I've noticed no cell phone sounds from speakers, like my office phone at work, PC speakers at home, ever since I got a 3G iPhone. It seems like that network doesn't effect speakers. The moment I switch to edge, I get that annoying sound. So I just wanted to note that it's possible even with the MK2 updated model, if you are using EDGE, you still may get those annoying noises from the speakers.

6. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Are there any other suggestions?

I don't need big bass, but want to replace my alarm clock while I'm at and so I can dock and charge the phone right next to me when I got to bed. And hope to use things like the Ambiance App, to play sounds with the set timer. And I assume sound works through the Sony speakers from iPhone apps?

Sony's design is unique and space saving being vertical, which is nice. While other systems, like iHome, they are pretty deep and take up a lot of space.

Then another good thing about the Sony being vertical is how the iPhone seems more secure with something backing it, to hold it up. I'd be afraid to put the iPhone in an iHome, as it free stands with nothing but the connector holding it up I think. Then say when a morning alarm goes off, what if while half asleep I swing my hand around reaching for the snooze button and snap the phone backwards. Seems less risky with Sony's design.

7. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

If you have more than just an iPhone — another iPod, for example — the JVC dual dock speakers are pretty nice. It sounds comparable to the Sony and the iHome, but it has two docks and does not give the Airplane Mode nag screen on my iPhone 3G. It has full wake and sleep functions, and a remote for hands-free playlist navigation (even on your iPhone!). It also has video out to watch your iPod or iPhone's videos on a television.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=210110

[Johnny Dangerously]

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Yeah I saw that. Looks nice, and but seemed pricey, especially with the dual dock I can't use, but the video out feature is really nice and makes the price more reasonable, even if you only use one dock.

It looks bigger, but overall slightly less than 1 inch wider than the sony, and only a small difference in height and depth, being greater.

Problem is, I was only starting to think about this when I saw the Ambiance App, for sounds when going to sleep, and I wanted something to charge while my computer was off, so when I saw the Sony for $50-$60, seemed like a great solution with how much a dock or sync cable costs. Then I find I had the wrong model, suddenly $99, and now I'm looking at $130-$150 with the iHome iP99B (hard to find, even online) and that JVC.

Though, if I decide to spend more, I think I can begin to justify it by tossing my PC speakers, which takes up space due to a giant sub I don't use, and use the line-in on these radio clocks to act as my PC speakers, especially since my alarm clock is just behind and slightly left of my main monitor facing to me.