Sony copying apple mac's

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Geoff., Jun 28, 2009.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I was on the sony website today looking at their desktops and wtf there totally copying apple's iMac and MacMini

There JD desktop version

[​IMG]

Really looks like a iMac even the mouse and keyboard do.

TP Series

[​IMG]

Looks will something i saw before..... hmm yeah a mac mini

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

**** you Sony! :mad: :p

That keyboard is like and EXACT replica.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

holy cow how can they get away with copying Apple so blatantly.:rolleyes:

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Sony had discrete keys on their laptops years before Apple. Then Apple lured away VAIO engineers to work for them.

So figure who is copying who…

5. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

The thing about an All-In-One PC is that it basically will just look like a screen, not much can be changed about that but the colour. When it comes to colour, the favourites are white, metal and black. So its almost inevitable that someone's All-In-One will look like an iMac.

Same goes for the little PC there. Its white and small, should no-one but Apple be allowed to make PCs that are white and small?

6. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Elppa is right. Apple has been copying Sony.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The only thing that really stands out as a carbon copy there is the keyboard. The all-in-one looks different, and their little mac mini look-a-like is actually quite nice.

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The TP Series doesnt look anything like a Mac Mini.

GASP! ITS SMALL, MUST BE A MAC MINI COPY.

9. MTI macrumors 65816

Vaio owners are in the same market as Apple owners . . . they are loyal and don't flinch at paying the "tax" for their design elements.

Having owned several Sony Vaio and Apple products, the build quality and design components are remarkably similar . . . terrible keyboards, compromised and limited expansion choices, bundled software that is nice but not overly powerful . . . with the ultimate goal of insulating the consumer from the nitty gritty of the hardware.

10. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

The only thing there that reminds me of a mac is the keyboard, and as they've said up there^^ Apple copied Sony on that one a long time ago.

The TP looks much cooler than a Mini, imo, though they arent very different. But theres really not much variation possible when building a computer that small. It doesnt seem like a copy, it just seems like thats the only plausible design choice.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Screen looks cheap, though that little TP is nice :)

12. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I have to admit, they look good. Depending on price they could be my next computer purchase :)

13. HD303 macrumors regular

HD303

But it doesn't run OSX so what's the big deal.

14. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Vista's Media Centre > Front Row

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Don't they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? This seems to have worked both ways with twpo companies, both of which are aware of the importance of attractive and stylish design. Anyway, fwiw, I have had a Sony Vaio - and it was a very good computer - and now I have a 15" MBP - which is also a very good computer.

Cheers

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

or does it?

Anyone know what the specs are for the all-in-one?

17. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

I agree.

It may look a bit like a Mac, but it is still a PC.

Even if it can run OSX, in the same way we all know can be done, it will be a Hackintosh and not the real deal. Not supported and there WOULD be quirks.

Given the high price of Sony hardware, is it really going to tempt somebody to buy an (Expensive?) PC which looks a bit like a Mac, then go to all that trouble trying to emulate one?

Now if Psystar had designed this one, there would be a big dilemma I think......:eek:

18. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

How do you know this? I have 2 hacs running and neither of them have any quirks. Depending on the parts used, the Sony machine could function just as well as a real mac.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's not anything terribly new. Sony had all-in-one models back in 2005 competing against the iMac G5 iSight.

You can find a few threads on here on the subject.

20. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Well supposing you know what you are doing and obviously you do, it may look like a good option. But the average iMac target buyer is not going to go through the hassle of hacking something like this are they to save a few $'s / £'s?

As for quirks, I was referring to possible future updates of the OS given Apples new found 'Love' for the clone / jail breaking market.

Is it worth the hassle to the average user?

21. maestrocasa macrumors regular

who's zoomin' who?

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Is the worry they look the same or that sony is copying the all in one concept

Attached Files:

23. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Looks like a Roomba to me! It is actually much bigger than a mini (that's the DVD drive in the upper square box below the SONY logo).

From Sony's site it looked to have the specs of the old mini with a larger hard drive and built-in TV tuners and went for $1599 :eek: An updated one went for $3000. Neither seems to be for sale any longer.

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

That is precisely what it made me think of. :D

I admit, Sony's got a sharp sense of design on a few of their computers, but I'd never buy that brand again after the trouble I've had with a few of their electronics.

25. WickedRabbit macrumors regular

It amazes me time and time again how horrible Sony's marketing team is. People still think Mac was the first with the chiclet style keyboard? Sorry folks, but as several others have pointed out, Sony was the first to bring that puppy out there, but much like the rest of Sony's marketing, they suck. Sony quietly launches a lot of tech before other companies, but because they don't ever advertise anything other than PlayStation (and they barely do that) or their TV's you'll never know about it unless you're a bit of a tech geek and are constantly browsing. For example, did you know that Sony was the first to bring out a Slingbox like device before.. um... Slingbox? It's called LocationFree and unless I've got my timeline mistaken I'm sure it came out some two years before Slingbox. But look who's bigger. Sony needs to fire their marketing team.