Sony DCR1P7E and Mac - Incompatible

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ljohnb, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Ljohnb macrumors newbie

I have a Sony Mini DV. I have connected to my iMac with a firewire and with a power cable connected but get the following message.........

The attached camera uses a different video format than your project's format. To use this camera, disconnect any other tape-based cameras, then create a new, empty project.

I have no other tape based camera to disconnect and although I tried to open a new project in each of the available formats I got the same message. This camcorder is a few years old - is it incompatible with my iMac or can I still do something to make it work? Elsewhere on this site I have seen advice that it should be ok.

Can anyone help please?

John:confused:

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sounds like you're using iMovie'06 or earlier. I think the problem is that you're trying to import your miniDV footage into a project that is set up with a different video type. I think iMovie'05 and '06 allows for MPEG-4 projects, so maybe that's what you have your project set at.

Try starting a new project and selecting the proper video format for the project, namely DV (you might need to choose widescreen of 4:3).

The only other thing I can think of is a NTSC or PAL issue.

3. Ljohnb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ftaok

Thank you for your reply. I have iMovie HD 6.0.3 (267.2) I cannot see where the type of MPEG files are shown. I have tried DV and DV widescreen but still get the same message. I think you may be right though and if so I presume there is not much I can do.
    John

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I believe it's the DCR IP7E, not 1. And according to Google it seems that's not a miniDV camera. In any event, it seems that uses some proprietary Sony tape format, and likely a proprietary video format on the tape. I'm not surprised it isn't compatible.