Sony delays Home again, open beta scheduled for Fall

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

April 21, 2008 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced today that it will expand the Closed Beta testing for PLAYSTATION Home in Summer 2008, inviting a further number of registrants from the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) users. Following completion of the Expanded Closed Beta test, the PLAYSTATION Home Open Beta service will commence in Fall 2008.

"We understand that we are asking PS3 and prospective PS3 users to wait a bit longer, but we have come to the conclusion that we need more time to refine the service to ensure a more focused gaming entertainment experience than what it is today," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Our overarching objective is to provide users with new gaming experiences that are available only on PLAYSTATION Home. Spending more time on the development and on the Closed Beta testing reaffirms our commitment to bringing a quality service, maintaining the PlayStation tradition."

The PLAYSTATION Home Open Beta service that will become available in Fall 2008 will be built around providing new and fun community gaming experiences.

Details of the Closed Beta testing features, registration for the test and the opening of the service will be announced as they become available.

About PLAYSTATION Home

PLAYSTATION Home is the visual representation of the PlayStation community. It is an evolving online social gaming service built for PS3 users to meet and share gaming experiences.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/868/868456p1.html

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

And Home was one of the reasons i bought a PS3

:rolleyes:

typical

at least let us have a open Beta

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You guys are actually still waiting on this.....I put home out of my mind from the first delay. Only thing I want from Sony right now is ingame XMB and Siren: New Translation.

Bless

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So open beta fall 2008, meaning release sometime early / spring 2009 ? :rolleyes:

By which time M$ will probably be talking about the next console for release 2010 with early power demos etc, all aimed at E3 2009

Just seems a little late in the game for something that basically is a prettier version of things that should have been in their online plan from day 1.

Edit: as 2ny say's we want xmb, friends list and invites etc rather than some Sim's 2 wannabe which hides a world of micro-transactions behind its glossy veneer.

Oh well, guess we will have to wait and see.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

money says it will come out on the PS4 instead.

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

:\.... I guess I can wait, just give me my MGO beta! And don't delay MGS4 ;).

7. sixmac macrumors member

this has to be the last delay, i have had home for just over a year now it has come a loooooong way and is now looking like its ready to release :)

this latest delay surprised me, with the beta tag on it doesn't really matter if some functions are not at %100 just put it out for everyone, needs more people online to be good