Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
The funny thing about this kind of DRM (if it's like the EMI one) is that if you shove the cd in a mac and open the disc in the finder you can just copy and paste the aiffs onto the machine. No ripping or drm infestation or anything.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
emotion said:
The funny thing about this kind of DRM
There's nothing funny about this kind of DRM. Nothing.

They work fine on Mac, and likely other non-Windows systems too, but this is going way too far. The normal anti-copy system (drivers, autorun) they use is bad enough. I don't care if it can be circumvented by holding Shift down. This is going way to far. They've really crossed the line.

Sony FAQ said:
6. I have heard that the protection software is really malware/spyware. Could this be true?

Of course not. The protection software simply acts to prevent unlimited copying and ripping from discs featuring this protection solution. It is otherwise inactive. The software does not collect any personal information nor is it designed to be intrusive to your computer system. Also, the protection components are never installed without the consumer first accepting the End User License Agreement.
Yeah, sure... tell that to the people who can't burn CDs at all because this thing REALLY screwed up the system.

And it's not malware? Yeah, sure :rolleyes:

Sony are the real criminals here, and that Sony digicam I bough a some months ago is the last Sony product I'll ever buy.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
emotion said:
Oh I hope the Windows 'community' get as riled at this as I would do if it affected macs.

This kind of DRM is criminal and Sony should be boycotted.
The fact that this does not affect Mac will not make me buy Sony stuff.

If I were to install rootkit on some Sony server (for example to monitor if they use my personal information for something I don't approve) I would be criminal. When they do it, it's "protecting intelectual property".

By the way, they provided utility to remove cloacking of the files. Not remove them, just un-cloak them. Too late Sony boy.

davey-nb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NORTH America
Bring on a class action law suit against Sony Music.
Their CDs broke my computer.
(and those cds scratch soooo easily...)
We want a share of all the profits Sony has made since WW11.

Renegate

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
Luxembourg
I want a Class Action!Now
After all it is simple : if you want to do DRM you need to control both hardware and software and guess who is the only company around who can do that?

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Btw

Sony BMG... remember those record clubs? I bet every BMG CD is going to ship with this DRM too.

$

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'm guessing this "rootkit" is just some kit from Sony that roots your computer when you install :D

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
MongoTheGeek said:
El Reg is reporting that Sony's RootKit doesn't just hide itself it hides other apps. Some WoW cheat programs can hide behind it. Imagine Blizzard joining the fray...

Oops sorry you can't connect to the server because you are running cheat program...

Yeah and they were saying all you had to do was give the file a $sys$ in the name and the warden (blizz's anti cheating software) can't see it. This has blown up very fast in sonys face as it should.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
AoWolf said:
Yeah and they were saying all you had to do was give the file a $sys$ in the name and the warden (blizz's anti cheating software) can't see it. This has blown up very fast in sonys face as it should.

And Blizzard can see if it is installed (put in their own thing $sys$ whatever and see if its there.) They may not be able to find the cheating software but they can see that they couldn't see it if it were there. Which might be sufficient cause.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Damn them. This makes me angry with copy protection CD's. Especially since people think their buying an audio cd, and it turns out to be some encrypted files that resemble nothing of music...not exactly what the record labels are doing...yet...but you get my drift of where music is going.:mad:

davey-nb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NORTH America
Chundles said:
I'm guessing this "rootkit" is just some kit from Sony that roots your computer when you install :D
I think only Aussies (maybe Kiwis) will get your humour.
Not many others know the prurient connotation.
You must get a big chuckle Chundle at our retail stores with the neon sign "Roots" shamelessly inticing the curious inside!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I'm never buying a copy protected CD. Ever.

I know everything thats on my computer and its all safe. This crap is worse than Spyware - it can't even be deleted!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm done buying Sony products alltogether, and if the RIAA is going to sit there and support Sony doing this crap, then I'm done buying CDs alltogether too. It's going to be piracy for me, because if they're going to treat everyone like criminals, then hey, I'll be a criminal. Plus, I don't want a penny of mine going to a company that can allow this.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
MongoTheGeek said:
And Blizzard can see if it is installed (put in their own thing $sys$ whatever and see if its there.) They may not be able to find the cheating software but they can see that they couldn't see it if it were there. Which might be sufficient cause.

No it won't, at best the WoW subscriber can just say "Huh? I bought a Britney Shears CD yesterday!"

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think this whole thing is completely ridiculous and out of line. It's not the best way to sell cds, punishing people who care enough to actually go out and purchase the thing. I figure that if it's your cd, you should be able to do what you want with it. Many Windows users don't know better, and may be buying the disk so that they can put it on their iPod. Instead, they get this crap. It makes me so angry, it's just so stupid.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I don't agree with this and think that it just promotes piracy. The music companies just don't get it (Hollywood is getting the same way) and the more they make out the innocent consumer of music to be guilty the more they will be hated and the more inclined people will be to turn to piracy.

I haven't come across one of the CDs (actually I probably wouldn't know, because the only computer it enters is my Mac) but it has virus and malware written all over it. I think it's totally unacceptable.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
johnnyjibbs said:
I don't agree with this and think that it just promotes piracy. The music companies just don't get it (Hollywood is getting the same way) and the more they make out the innocent consumer of music to be guilty the more they will be hated and the more inclined people will be to turn to piracy.

I haven't come across one of the CDs (actually I probably wouldn't know, because the only computer it enters is my Mac) but it has virus and malware written all over it. I think it's totally unacceptable.

Of course it will promote piracy...

Do they not understand that they should keep the discs free of this stuff? The only people who get this crap installed on their computers are the legitimate buyers!. I could go online right now and find a copy of a CD with a 320 KBPS bitrate in the MP3 format, along with PAR recovery files and album art. No adware/spyware built in.

Or, I can spend my $17 on the SAME CD, but get 128 KBPS bitrate in a WMA file, without recovery files OR digital album art, and have my system slowed down by this crap that tries to make sure I'm a legitimate purchaser.

I think the free version looks pretty sweet right now. In fact, the amount of time it takes me to go to the store, buy the CD, and come home and "rip it" to my computer (in a low quality, bad format), those files will be completely downloaded.

ALSO, it helps promote iTunes:

I downloaded the Foo Fighters CD, In Your Honor, on iTunes for like $13. Sure, it has DRM and everything, but at least I can do whatever with those files, and if I really need to, I can strip the DRM...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Ditto. They're just promoting piracy but they're too dumb to see that. They're making their customers out to be criminals, and once people realize what's going on, they're going to live up to Sony's expectations and be criminals.

Personally, if I was an artist who's CD, was against my will, infected with this junk, I would encourage my fans to pirate my CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.