Sony DVD508 Camcorder & iMovie editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nazarus, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Nazarus macrumors newbie

I Just bought a Sony DCR-DVD508 Camcorder and now my worst fears are becoming reality. I Can't import the video into my Mac via USB nor is it compatible with iMovie. Hence, I am unable to edit my home movies unless I buy and download converters etc.....What a pain for all those steps! I just want to plug the thing in and go edit my vids. Is this for real? Am I gonna have to sell this thing on Craig's List or Ebay? I bought it off of Amazon and I only realized my problem after I opened the box and started learning the the thing. Amazon won't allow returns if they have been opened. Do I have to buy a MiniDV Cam to be able to import directly into iMovie with no hassles or additional software downloads? Also, the compatibility list is not very useful because it will take me to Sony's website where it says my cam is Mac Compatible.

Naz

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Pretty much...getting footage off of DVD camcorders is rather difficult. MiniDV is much, much better.

If I recall correctly, you may be able to pull off the VRO files recorded on your DVDs (don't go sticking the mini DVDs in a slot-loading drive though!) and then use MPWG Streamclip to convert them to something usable like MPEG-2. You'll lose quality along the way, but it's probably doable.

DVD camcorders are crap if you want to edit footage.

3. jpac125 macrumors newbie

Can you use Parallels or VP Fusion??

I also own a DCR-DVD508 and am suffering from the same thing WildCowboy is/was suffering from. I am about to buy a Macbook Pro, and I wanted to know if the new program Parallels, or VP Fusion, could allow my camera's footage to be captured onto Final Cut via a Windows program. Is this plausible?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Not really. You'll still need to do conversion at some point, so using Streamclip or iSquint will probably be necessary.