Sony @E3 2010

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by peskaa, Jun 16, 2010.

1. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

So what did you guys think of Sony's efforts at this year's E3?

Personally, I was a little disappointed at the lack of new hardware announcements. Those two new PS3 models didn't get a mention (I was expecting to see 802.11n built in, and bigger drives, perfect for countering MS's new 360), and there was nary a peep about a PSP2 - yet Nintendo rolled out yet another tedious edition of the DS.

On the flip side, they had plenty of game announcements that were good - LBP2, Portal 2, and so on. Essentially it seems to me that Sony have the software side nailed down.

PSN+ was expected, but not impressed that you lose the items if you cancel. What happened to the concept of ownership? I'd need concrete details before I signed up, but I probably will.

As for Move...must admit I've ordered a complete set (2xWands, 2xSubCont, 1xCharging Station & 2xGun Frame). I wasn't enthused, but the show convinced me far more than Kinetic did. That said, I can always cancel, as they're not out until 15th Sept. Pleased Sony announced price and everything, rather than keeping things in the dark like MS.

Thoughts? Opinions? Hated it? Loved it?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I didn't even watch it. Quickly read what they did afterwards but wasn't that impressed. PSN+ is just a rip off IMO, I don't want to pay 50€ year to get cross-game chat, other features are useless for me. Biggest news for me was GT5 release date, other stuff I've more or less ignored

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PN+ was a joke.
    GT5 looked nice but I'm finding it hard to muster up excite over it yet again.
    No new hardware.
    Elongated demonstration of Killzone 3 (which looked fairly bland).
    Barely any PSP news. A 2 hour presentation and they had it on for what, 10 minutes? What I like about Nintendo is that they always treat their handheld market with a bit more respect (especially this year whooooboy).
    Little Big Planet 2 is now one of those party games that everyone hates?

Overall I was disappointed. And as I said in the other thread... I'd go cheer myself up by getting a PSP-3000 but they're no longer in stock in shops! Unless you want the pink one.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Tedious? It's a new platform and a very significant technology leap.
    Can someone detail PSN+ for me? I'm not seeing a lot of value in it. "Early access" to demos that were available before seems like an artificially created value, and paying the cost of a full game to be higher on a waiting list for betas seems similarly silly.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have no idea what they're going to do with the PSP. I owned one a while back and couldn't stand the thing. The loading time was horrendous. When the PSPGo came out I was pretty excited. I love buying things digitally. But then it came out and I felt like they had 3 games for it and that was it. Then I lost interest and don't even know what the status is now. I mean seriously... there is no reason they shouldn't have had their full PSP library available digitally at launch of the PSPGo. I was honestly excited for it until launch day...

I enjoy my PS3. Uncharted 1/2 are some of the best games I've played. Love Little Big Planet. Very excited for The Last Guardian. I wasn't a huge fan of Killzone. I think the UI is much better than the 360's. Playstation Home is a joke though. There's really no point to it except to be shown ads.

Unfortunately for them by the time the PS3 came out, myself and most of my friends were already established on the 360. It just wasn't feasible to move everybody over. That's one thing they won't recover from at least in my circle of friends. Their trophies were a little too late and I have to say, achievements are a big draw to the 360.

Oh well... hopefully they can correct some of these things but I wasn't super impressed. And if that guy said "exclusive" one more time during the presentation.... /nerdrage

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think steam works on the ps3 is interesting. Ps3 could have a huge hit if they manage to somehow get more steam features on their platform.

I'm disappointed by the lack of psp2 news though they might be saving it for tgs since that's their big show for the japanese market (aka the psp market).

I like the stuff from Move but I dunno.... I still think Kinetic looks cooler. I don't know if it is better but I like the idea of less controllers, less stuff. If I wanna play something it's nice and easy, no setup etc. The games for kinect look lame, which is what worries me.

I also sigh at the fact that 3D was such a big part of Sonys deal. How many people don't even have HDTVs yet let alone 3D ones? I wish they would use the processing power for something else :-(

7. macfan881 macrumors 68020

heres what you get from PSN+ acording to there website

If you sign up in the UK you get LPB hasnt been confirmed for US yet

You Get Acesses to full game Trials up for a limited time but you get to play it as if its a full game and not a demo.

You get Demo's Patches and firmware updates directly sent to you no more Manualy checking " i think this is a great feature "

up to 50% off selected PSN Titles and they change from time to time.

Exclusive avatars themes etc before any one else

Free games/downloads

Early Demos

Finally First Priorty Beta Accses plus a free year of Qore which has a whole bunch of other stuff and Cross Game chat was Leaked out by Portaguals site as another feature in 3.4 part of PSN+

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Did you watch an inside out, upside down E3?

9. peskaa thread starter macrumors 68020

peskaa

No?
    I watched a release of a handheld that is a DS, err, I mean DSLite, oh wait, DSi...or was it DSi XL? with a 3D top screen and an analogue nub. Maybe slightly better graphics - but not on par with PSP graphics (and that has been out years), and that's it.

Further, they couldn't even be bothered to make the two screens the same size/aspect ratio. Now that's just lazy. Sure, you may bang on about backwards compatibility, but they could easily just use less of the screen when playing old games. The top screen doesn't fill the case by a long shot, and it just looks...crap. Typical Nintendo really - claiming to innovate, but actually pushing out micro releases at a rapid pace to suck in as much money as possible with incremental upgrades.

Way to sum that up? 3D, schmee-dee. Same for Sony trying to push it for the living room.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not on par with PSP graphics? What presentation were you watching?

Not to mention the 3D cameras, gyroscope, IR, etc...the touch screen doesn't need to be larger, as it'll probably be used as a map or trackpad in many cases.

11. peskaa thread starter macrumors 68020

peskaa

From what I could see, they looked about iPhone 3GS level. Good, but not blowing my socks off.

3D cameras? Gimmick. Gyroscope is a neat touch, but nothing ground breaking or new - catchup to Apple in the gaming space, but no accelerometer? Again, Nintendo cheaping out on functions that could easily be included.

See, this is what ultimately gets me about Nintendo. I own a DS Lite, and the 3DS isn't compelling enough for me to upgrade - yet Nintendo have squeezed a refresh in between that (DSi). They take baby steps every year, releasing a new model, and never one big leap.

For the 3DS to be worth my money over my DS Lite it'd need two screens the same size, capacitative touch, a proper implementation of multiplayer gaming, accelerometer & gyroscope, dual analogue sticks and then whatever else they decide to put on it.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Don't forget ;).
    Along with some outstanding looking games, including a portable MGS3 in 3D and a 3D update to one of the best games ever.

If that's tedious then bwwaaaahhhh?

Can haz link to another 3D handheld console?
    The 3DS isn't a micro update either. Would you also apply that problem to Sony too, with their 4 PSP revisions (there are 4 DS revisions)?

You don't want to upgrade from a DS Lite to a 3DS, yet you bought a PSP Go whilst owning a PSP-3000 didn't you?

13. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

In no way is the 3DS a "micro" release. It's basically a whole new platform. Far better graphics, faster processor. MUCH better online. Just happens to have backward compatibility.

They have a HUGE amount of support announced for it already. It's gonna be big.

By their actions at the keynote Sony has basically said the PSP is dead in the water.

Heck, they have to resort to annoying children to sell their system now:

marcuspsp.com

14. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Would Not be surpise if we see a PSP update at TGS thats when we saw the PS3 Slim.

15. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I also read somewhere that you will get dedicated games servers but that may have been a rumour
    I also agree with the DS again... zzzzzz Apple are still going to eat into it's sales.

And IMO Sony nailed E3, they had by FAR the best keynote. Full HD 3D games with Move control!!
    Now you could argue 3D is a fad of the moment, or you could recognise it for what it is, the future, I mean considering Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, Alienware, Nvidia, several BIG movie studios, computer animated film studios, BSkyB, cinemas all seem to be backing the technology hard.
    So while Nintendo are riding on the back of the 3D bandwagon with the 3DS, just where were the front room 3D announcements from MS and Ninty? Are they going to wait to see if pretty much the ENTIRE industry flops or something first?

So Crysis 2 in 3D!!! Let alone the others and Killzone 3 IMO looked amazing. For me it made the best show at E3 and Sony are in my eyes the clear winners.
    They didn't announce amazing new tech, just tech we all already knew about, what they did do was announce how a shed load of new and exclusive games that will use all this tech.
    and Gabe Newell!!! WTF!! The man who has publicly slammed the PS3 more times then I've had hot dinners!! Got to say something if he got on stage to sell Portal 2 and now with talk of old Valve games coming to the PS3, you won't get that on the 360.
    Now, as for the PSP, well I have the first gen one and think it's great, but I also think Sony are trying as hard as they can to flog a dead horse now. It is still selling though, not in amazing numbers but it is selling so I guess that's why they are trying to promote it still?

Overall, MS have done well with the Kinetic but the show was bland and everyone just thinks the new 360 is what it should have been from the start plus IMO every Kinetic game shown was a Wii rip off, Nintendo was the same old, Sony showed loads of games using amazing tech.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

What I took away from Sony’s E3 presentation:

I could purchase a new “tedious’ Nintendo 3DS unit plus several games or even a Wii for the price of purchasing all the required hardware for the PlayStation Move.

$50 for one Move controller
    $30 for one Move companion controller
    $40 for the PlayStation Eye
    $99 for one Move controller + PlayStation Eye + Wii Sports knock-off

So, I’ll need two Move controllers (2x$50) to play certain games, a companion controller ($30) and a PlayStation Eye ($40). That’s at least $170, but most people will need to spend $200 if they want to play with more than one person.

All this for an accessory? Move is already a failure and it hasn’t even been released yet. I have no idea what they’re thinking.

17. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Maybe they can advertise it inside Playstation Home. The HUGE crowds there will love it.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well one thing to remember is wireless N is massive over kill for the needs of a gaming system. It can never even come close to maxing out G. Besides marketing N gives the game system nothing over G. It is not like they are transferring files over the network to store on the drive of the gaming system.

19. macfan881 macrumors 68020

actaully you can get the eye for under 30 if you look hard enough in my mind the Move wins for me cause they showed that there focusing on the hardcore first Causual second MS showed pretty much all casual stuff and have showed nothing for the hard core games and none of the devs for MS has stated they plan to support Natal.

20. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

My home internet is faster than 802.11G. With G, you only have a theoretical max of 54mbit, but my internet runs at a solid 65-70mbit. My older Mac Mini, which only has G can download things at roughly ~3MB/sec, while my uMacbook with N can download things at ~8MB/sec. That is basically 3 times faster downloads. With DLCs, demos and trailers getting bigger and bigger, that all adds up, and the faster I can get that, the less time I have to wait to play it.

Now sure, for the needs of actual gaming, you don't need much more than about 1mbit to have a decent connection to an online match. And obviously your ping times have a very big factor in this as well. But still, being able to download things plays a big part with your online gaming experience these days, and with internet speeds getting faster and faster, older 802.11G is starting to see its limits.

21. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

None?? :confused:

Developers owned by MS confirmed for Kinect...
    Lionhead, Rare, Turn 10

Other 3rd party developers who have already shown games...
    Ubisoft, Konami, THQ, Harmonix, EA, Sega

22. peskaa thread starter macrumors 68020

peskaa

Again, it is my belief that 3D is a gimmick. The reported issues (ie: move the 3DS relative to your eyes and you have to refocus, breaking the immersity) are indicators of a technology that is simply not ready for prime time (the same can be said of the PS3 to be honest, simply not enough horsepower to run 3D at a decent resolution nor people with the kit to show it).

You're right, there isn't another 3D handheld, but then nobody else pushes out updates nearly every year to their hardware with such minor changes marketed as big ones. Yes, Nintendo are first, but they could have made a far better effort at it.

Yes, I'd apply that to the PSP Go as well. I actually did buy a Go!, but only because I lost my PSP-1000. Sony have done micro-updates to the PSP, but they don't try and push existing owners to buy one of these micro-updated units. I've never seen a game store try and buy in PSP 2000s to upgrade to 3000s, yet they all were jumping up and down for DS Lite to DSi (Hell, even for DSi to DSi XL).

The PS3 is aimed as a media streamer as well as a gaming machine. 802.11g is too slow for HD, but 802.11n does a good job. Right now, if you want to stream without stuttering you need to use ethernet. So basically 802.11n has a very valuable place.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo don't either. Not one of my US or EU Nintendo weekly emails told me to upgrade, only GAME and GameStation did. Don't blame Nintendo for what shops are doing.
    Our GAME did have a trade-in scheme for "up"grading to a Go, but I think they only accepted PSP-3000's.

As for 3D "not ready for prime time", I've only heard good things from people who have tested it out. Everyone says "it works". And if you don't want or can't see 3D you can just turn it off and play MGS3, Resident Evil etc.