Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keyhole

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I want to pickup a set of the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 bluetooth headphones. I only use headphones to workout with and these are small enough to be comfortable while working out.

Everything I read says that the volume does not work on the headset or the volume slider on the iPhone.

My question is, what volume level does the music playback at? Full level? A moderate level?

Also is it likely that Apple will add more support for bluetooth headphones?

claytonvegas

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
volume issue

I just received mine. Pairing is quick and sound is better than I expected. I can't find the volume control. Control on the iphone is deactivated. Searching for info on Sony site. I will update when I find out how.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
They play at FULL volume. FAR too loud, unless you're already deaf from listening to other headphones at full volume all the time. My ears are still great, so the volume is FAR too loud.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
Has the volume control on the IS800's been resolved with the latest iPhone software updates? I'm getting dizzy reading all the threads on BT headphones and these look like the winner.....if I can control the volume. Thanks.

Douglas B

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
Does Settings-iPod-Volume Limit help?

It's reported that the volume sent to the headset is 100% - which is too loud for most people.

However could I request that if any of you still have an HBH-IS800 and iPhone handy; could you kindly test out using them after having lowered the maximum volume through the 'Settings-iPod-Volume Limit' setting? Using this setting obviously wouldn't allow for a quick volume change however - if it can reduce the volume to a reasonable maximum I may be able to work with that limitation. (Pun not intended).

:confused:

Thanks and regards,
Douglas

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
It's reported that the volume sent to the headset is 100% - which is too loud for most people.

However could I request that if any of you still have an HBH-IS800 and iPhone handy; could you kindly test out using them after having lowered the maximum volume through the 'Settings-iPod-Volume Limit' setting? Using this setting obviously wouldn't allow for a quick volume change however - if it can reduce the volume to a reasonable maximum I may be able to work with that limitation. (Pun not intended).

Thanks and regards,
Douglas

Good idea. I would like to know the response to that because I really want to get the Sony headset also.

Phat^Trance

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
no you cannot change the volume on any a2dp handsfree via the iphone. it works if the headset have volum buttons which the HBH-IS800 doesnt have :/

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
no you cannot change the volume on any a2dp handsfree via the iphone. it works if the headset have volum buttons which the HBH-IS800 doesnt have :/

He is not saying that, he is asking whether you can change the volume limit in the settings. Maybe set that to half way, and see if that makes a difference.

lanckwi

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010

Thanks and regards,
Douglas

I tried about everything, including what you propose, nothing seems to work, and the sound is simply to loud (for somebody of 80 it could be ok, but I'm not there yet). If you have other ideas just let me know.

In my opinion it's a choice of Apple (the reason escapes me) not to change this. The problem is known since almost a year (if not longer), and no reaction whatsoever comes from their side. If they wanted to change this, they would have done so.

William

jasminej82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
A stupid question...

Hi!
I’m going to get this headset as soon as possible (http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/pro...iew/hbh-is800?lc=it&cc=it#view=specifications) but just now I have a doubt: does it get connected directly to iphone bt or does it need an unit attacched at iphone jack (I mean like in this photo http://d.hatena.ne.jp/egyo2nd/20090316/1237138633). I know it’s a stupid question and I think the answer is the first, but I’d like to be sure because I need it.
The volume control should work properly now on ios4, doesn't it?
Thanks,

Veronica

gertudby

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
@Veronica

The headset work directly with the buildin BT on the iphone.
BUT my Sony HBH IS800 BT headset doesn't work with iphone 4 (OS4.1)
It worked perfectly with my iphone 3GS (OS4.1)

jasminej82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010

Thanks for the answer... :)
It's really a bad news for me, I need on iphone 3gs but on iphone 4, too. I just ordered it yesterday :(

jasminej82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010

Hi!

I got my HBH-IS800. I had no problems with iphone 4, just pairing the same as for the 3gs. But I have a noise problem, a really noise rustle when I'm in a call. It's here also when reproducing music at high volume, but when in a call it's really a bad thing. Is for you the same? The phone is near the headset.
Thanks,
Veronica

devjas

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
More Volume !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also just purchased the HBH-IS800 and the issue that I am having is that the volume level is too low even at full volume setting. I am using these with the Iphone 4....I wish they were too loud....I need more.. Can someone help me..:confused::confused:

jasminej82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
I also just purchased the HBH-IS800 and the issue that I am having is that the volume level is too low even at full volume setting. I am using these with the Iphone 4....I wish they were too loud....I need more.. Can someone help me..:confused::confused:

My headset has not this problem, it sounds very strange to me because I need to get iphone volume settings low in order to listen music. Is your volume low in a call or listening to music?
Can you help me with "my boring rustle"? Do you have it when in a call? I can't use the headset, it's so boring to listen at this rustle :( It looks like a connection issue, but it doesn't change with the distance from iphone.

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand me :(

Thanks,
Veronica

devjas

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Volume

Its funny you have the opposite problem. I have the volume on the iphone set to full when listening to music and also when making calls... as for the quality of the sound. I have no distracting noise issue with either listening to music or during conversations with the iphone...I wonder?????

jasminej82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Its funny you have the opposite problem. I have the volume on the iphone set to full when listening to music and also when making calls... as for the quality of the sound. I have no distracting noise issue with either listening to music or during conversations with the iphone...I wonder?????

Really it's funny... I really expected more from these headphones :(
I can't say, but probably you don't have issue in audio because of the low volume you can reach. I have the same issue with an old nokia n73 phone... it's really an headset problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.