Sony Ericsson W580i White Phone (AT&T) with MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebassoonist, Oct 12, 2007.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Hey, so I was just reading up on a cell phone I am interested in buying (not an iPhone :() and I came upon this:

"This phone provides Bluetooth version 2.0 wireless connectivity with EDR (enhanced data rate), and includes profiles for communication headset, handsfree car kits, and audio/video remote control. With the A2DP Bluetooth profile, you can stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones. You can connect your laptop (either via Bluetooth or wired USB) and enjoy dial-up networking--surf the Internet, send email, and access files from a server."

Will this work with a MB or MBP? That would be really awesome if I could use this phone to get on the Internet!

Thanks!:)

2. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it seems your phone is not on the isync compatible phones list but there's a lot of other SE models, so it might work. only way to know for sure is to try one.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

When you first connect using bluetooth and pair the Mac to the phone, it should give you the option to use the phone a modem. The last 2 Sony Ericsson phones I have had have both given this option, I've never tried to use it myself though.

You can also get plugins for iSync & sending messages from Address Book here.

5. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Awesome! Thank you!

Oh, and one more question...

There's lots of talk about the iPhone not being a 3G phone. Well, this phone isn't G3 either. So I was wondering if the "average" user can notice the difference between 3G and EDGE.

According to AT&T, EDGE has average data speeds between 75-135Kbps. What's 3G?

6. majidf macrumors member

7. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Ha, sorry, I was reading a thread about G4s or something, and yeah... anyway. Thanks for the numbers - so that seems like a pretty huge difference.