Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
The price drop was definitely an incentive.

I was looking for a good Blu-Ray player. The bonus here is that it plays games too. Its probably the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market right now, and one of the best.

I went to Circuit City tonight and the guy behind me was doing the very same thing I was, buying it for the Blu-Ray. CC throws in the second controller for free and I picked up the remote for another $20. With tax and the extras, it was still below the original asking price.

They had the PS3's lined up along the wall, so they must have had a bunch of Web orders.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I cannot remember a time where my ping was higher than 60 when I played LAN games over WiFi with walls and floors between us. You are spreading some massive FUD, mosx.

Well, consider yourself lucky because you're the first person I have ever talked to that has had that kind of "Success" playing a game wirelessly.

another $100 to get Live working completely for those of us that actually own a wireless router? Uh, f*ck you, too, Microsoft.

I'll agree that the price of the add-on is too high.

But considering that the wireless card the PS3 uses is worth roughly $5 and they charged $100 over the 20GB model for that, an extra 40GB, and a $2 memory card reader is just as bad.

But, again, none of this changes the fact that 802.11g is simply not fast enough for things such as streaming HD media over the network. If you try to stream high definition H.264 or WMV9 over an 802.11g network you will experience dropped frames and pauses.

Even a ripped DVD will give you issues. Try it and see for yourself. Not on a Mac either, because Apple puts more antennaes in their systems than the PS3 has or Windows PCs.

Then, let's not go into how my friends have Xbox Live troubles with their machines directly connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

Nobody said the system was perfect or problem free. Head over to the official Playstation forums and see just how many people have issues connecting the PS3 wirelessly to secured and unsecured networks.

While you're at it, see how many people couldn't get online with their PS2 with even a simple setup like connecting a non-PPPoE or cable modem directly to the ethernet jack.

No online setup is hassle free.

but from the voice chatting bigots (as I've seen personally seen and in the online gaming and racism thread here

Those people are EVERYWHERE. They're in Xbox games, PS2 games, PS3, 360, PC, etc. Wherever there is voice chat you will hear somebody trying to cause problems.

(seems like it's under-reported in my opinion when I have 4 friends that can't invite me to games or even voice chats)

Again, that affects all online consoles. Those types of problems are usually related to the firewall in routers. This kind of issue was a HUGE problem with the PS2 online because nobody knew that they should simply put the game console in a DMZ.

I'm about to call up Microsoft to get a refund or cut off my Gold membership. I don't play online much because the stupidity of people online is just discouraging (for once, Nintendo's lack of voice-chatting in most of its online games actually is nice) and in my case, I can't play my friends, so what's the point?

You're going to find stupid people everywhere you go. It doesn't matter if you're online with a PC, PS2, PS3, Xbox360 or whatever.

And, for the 10th time, connection problems plague all of the consoles. Firewalls generally create the problems and if people would put their consoles in a DMZ they wouldn't have the issues they do.

I remember playing SOCOM 2 at its peak. 35,000 people online every night. Half the people in the games didn't have properly working voice chat despite having microphones. Why? Because of their firewalls. You'd tell someone to go put their PS2 in the DMZ and try it again. Guess what? They'd rejoin the game and their connection issues would be gone.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I love the way you dismiss WiFi and Blu-ray for everyone because you have no use for it. I have no use for Blu-ray as I don't have an HDTV, but I require WiFi as there is no way to hook my router to my game systems otherwise.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
65nm 360 should bring a price drop. Rumors are they'll come out this Fall. Codenamed "falcon".

360 price drop...$50 is a safe bet, $100 would be killer but unlikely.

If they drop all skus $100:
Core $199
Premium $299
Elite $379

Sony would be in deep, deep trouble. :D (at $499 60gig and $599 80gig Ps3 skus)

On the subject of add-ons (hard drives, WiFi) - I don't have a use for WiFi, but I will agree that not only is the WiFi adapter too expensive, but so are the hard drives. Price drops on those pronto, please guys...? Be a little more lenient. Make your money, but don't gouge like that on the pricing.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
65nm 360 should bring a price drop. Rumors are they'll come out this Fall. Codenamed "falcon".

360 price drop...$50 is a safe bet, $100 would be killer but unlikely.

If they drop all skus $100:
Core $199
Premium $299
Elite $379

Sony would be in deep, deep trouble. :D (at $499 60gig and $599 80gig Ps3 skus)

On the subject of add-ons (hard drives, WiFi) - I don't have a use for WiFi, but I will agree that not only is the WiFi adapter too expensive, but so are the hard drives. Price drops on those pronto, please guys...? Be a little more lenient. Make your money, but don't gouge like that on the pricing.

Do you quickly forget how 65nm will probably bring Sony lower too? M$ likes to gouge on the accessories and i doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Sony is far from in trouble, if anything M$ is in deep sh*t from their excessive red showing to the investors. Billions in the red FTL!

Ed

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Do you quickly forget how 65nm will probably bring Sony lower too? M$ likes to gouge on the accessories and i doubt it will stop anytime soon.

Sony is far from in trouble, if anything M$ is in deep sh*t from their excessive red showing to the investors. Billions in the red FTL!

Ed

Didn't know Sony was already working on 65nm...hadn't heard anything. Any specific timetable? (or just a "we're working on it")

Microsoft/red is anyone's guess.
They're in the red now.
Four years from now they may have sold 75-100 million 360s at that point in time, which would bring them much closer to the surface of "black" (if not above it).

Too early to count anyone out or dismiss any system; I'd never say otherwise. ;)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Even though sales are up on the operating system side of things, Microsoft's games division is still struggling. The Entertainment and Devices division lost $315 million, with sales slipping some 21 percent. That's 22 percent down from last year. The quarter overall saw $929 million, down 21 percent over last year during the same quarter. "Microsoft says the drop in sales came primarily because of decreases in the sale of Xbox 360s. During the quarter, the company shipped a half million consoles, as compared to 1.7 in the third quarter of 2006, that being the first full quarter in which Xbox 360s became available. Sales of Xbox and PC games decreased 44 percent over the company's first three quarters to $393 million, which the company puts hand in hand with the decrease in console sales."

Investors will only put up with so much, that includes moving funds from a profitable division to one that has never seen a profit *cough Xbox* This article was a few weeks before the 1 billion loss announcement, so don't forget to add that in to the losses.

Ed

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Too slow, too unstable, too unreliable. Want to stream media? Forget it. Want to play an action packed game like Unreal Tournament 3? Better hope theres not too many walls or electronics in range of your wireless network.

Okay, now your comment is just getting ridiculous. I've had wifi for the past 2 years. I've played online games like hell through wireless, and haven't had any problems that you speak of. PC games like Half Life 2, etc...C'mon, sounds like you've just had crappy wifi hardware. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my wireless router is like 3 rooms away too. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that I can go buy an Xbox360 Premium right now, and a game, and have EVERYTHING I need to be playing HD games and communicating with people online within seconds of pulling the system out of the box. Even though the PS3 costs $499, it does not come with the cables you need to get HD video or a headset.

Great, so Xbox360 has everything you need for HD. But guess what? What about the people who already have a PS2, and they've already got the necessary cables for HD? The great thing about the PS3, is that it uses the SAME A/V output since the PSone! So that's like, a port that's over 10 years old? Think before you speak. :p

And don't think I'm a "fanboy" of any sort. I'm just trying to clarify facts here. I love all my next-gen consoles. Wii, Xbox360, and PS3 all have something to share in this generation of gaming. :)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well, consider yourself lucky because you're the first person I have ever talked to that has had that kind of "Success" playing a game wirelessly.

Haha! Well seemingly not here.

As I said I bought myself a NetGear "Rangemax" DG834PN for £90. The router is on the other side of the house and we have bricks inside (no huffin or puffin will bring this down :D ). My old router was crap and cut off all the time - as anyone on my MSN list or folk I played in games will tell you. It really is down to your hardware mate. Get a decent wireless router.
Hell. My 360-loving friend is playing all his games on WiFi with a similar long distance wireless network too!

If you get one of the Rangemax bridges too then you get friggin insane speeds.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
So within several hours of the price drop amazon is seeing a spike in PS3 and all things PS3 sales and hitting the best sale list...interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_1/103-5027024-2014233

http://news.filefront.com/sony-ps3-sales-up-2800-on-amazon/

Did a walk around today...stores selling out of the PS3...wow I guess the price cut wasnt such a bad idea but I'll wait for an accurate count of sales.

Bless

Looks like it was a great idea ;)

Its still holding #1-#3

Ed

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 101

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Looks like it was a great idea ;)

Its still holding #1-#3

Ed

Well, it's helping my Amazon stocks, so I shouldn't complain. It sure seems like Amazon had a lot of PS3's in stock. I haven't seen it sold out yet. I really hope the 80GB isn't losing its emotion engine. I don't want to end up getting a PS3 in the future that isn't full backwards compatible.

Depending on how this fire sale goes, I think developers might regain some confidence in Sony. With all of these rumors about more developers abandoning Sony, there might last minute changes with some E3 announcements.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Wireless in fine for gaming. My brother does his gaming through a wireless connection that is even shared between my macbook and the pc via ethernet with few problems.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Now, I'm hearing online that the $599 80Gig model may come with a rumble controller! Hence the price drop of the regular controller?

I also hear online that Sony may be just "getting rid of the 60Gig Model to make way for the 80Gig" and they will be back to a $599 only model (unlikely though).

Sony hopes to double their sales. I think so for at least this month, as people who wanted the $499 model can now get one again. Then, I think that sales would increase only about 30% since it's still $100 more than the XB360 premium (what most people want or need anyways) and of course double the very popular Wii.

It'll still be a while until there are lots of great games for it.

If you want one, definitely get one while the 5 free movie deal is going...

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_mte/002-6947030-3192042

PS3 sales go up 3000% on Amazon after price drop! I even dropped by my local Best Buy today, and they just went out of stock today! People really wanted that price drop! :eek:

Looks like good news for Sony. Now, E3 is just a little more than 12 hours away! :D

Yep, I couldn't resist and ordered one for in-store pickup at Circuit City yesterday. By last night they had sold out of PS3s at the location I went to as well, and had several others that were ordered online waiting to be picked up. I had been wanting a Blu-ray player for some time, so the price drop, combined with getting a free second controller and 5 free BD movies was enough to get me to bite.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
re: Wireless

I've been gaming over WiFi for years now. Good hardware = good signal quality. The idea that it adds latency is insane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.