Sony GVH-D700 HDV Video Walkman

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665192187

So this is cool. I had the old HD version of this at my old job and it worked quite nicely hooked up to my computer. And it was so much better than using the camera as a deck.

Even though I don't have an HDV Cam yet - I'll get one eventually - I've been thinking about getting a deck to do my editing. This might be worth getting instead. Anyone know anything more about it?

D

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

This Is The First Consumer HDV Deck. I May Be Buying One ASAP or A HC-5.

This marks a major step toward further diffusion of HDV as a long term format. $1,299 is not a bad starting price. The first DV deck was a lot more expensive than that back in the 1990's. Only wish they offered a model without the LCD for less. Perhaps the HC5 is still the way to go for a lot less money. Will have to look at it once it ships next month. Thanks for finding it Mr. Anderson and for starting the thread with the model name and number. :)

I can't get the images to blow up from the thumbnails. Anyone else having that problem as well?

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The price is fantastic since the only other options right now are pro versions at pro prices.

The thumbs don't work - their javascript isn't coded correctly and its calling a void();

I wonder how long these have been on the site - I was thinking about it this morning and knew it was just going to be a matter of time before one became available.

Now I need to get a blue-ray drive to backup all my old tapes - I hate having to wait for technology.

D

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Getting an older model HDV camera would accomplish the same tasks, have the same functionality and cost much less. You would also get the added bonus of having a 2nd camera if you needed it. Units like this are pretty much repackaged cameras w/o lenses but priced higher because they'll have a lower sales volume. If you were in the field and needed to log tapes or something it's a handy device, but otherwise you are just paying more money for less product if you get this instead of a late model camera.

Lethal

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Interesting...

Hadn't thought of it that way - I just liked having the mini deck for working in on the road. I'd bring it along and hook it up to my PowerBook and having the controls easier to work with than the ones on the camera - also having a second, larger screen.

But the more I look at things, especially stuff like these two

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089063

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665156113

It makes me wonder if I shouldn't bother at all with tape. Although on these all digital cams there is room for improvement, it might be better getting a Blue ray drive for archiving instead of using tapes.

I hate having options that look really good, but haven't quite reached their maturity yet. Being on a limited budget doesn't help either. Anything I buy is for the long run, so I have to make sure I get the right equipment that I'll be happy using for 3-5 years.

D